Chapter 2: Worry

Back on Ravnica, there was an air of doom over the entire plane. It had been three days since Nicol Bolas was freed and the planeswalkers that formed the Gatewatch were still unable to find him.

"I just don't understand how he was able to escape in the first place," said Nicol Bolas' brother Ugin, "I not only have the only key to the prison realm but my brother and I are the only ones who know how to get there."

"Well over thinking it is not going to help us now," Sorin said flatly.

"Neither is just sitting here," said Ajani, "we need to find him and put him back in the prison realm."

"Or find a way to finally put him down," Jaya added, "we can't let Gidion's sacrifice be for nothing."

"Agreed," said Jace who is now the new leader of the Gatewatch, "but to do that we'll need all hands on deck."

"What are you suggesting Jace?" Vivian asked skeptically.

"Contact Kaya, Vraska, and Ral and tell them to return to Ravnica immediately."

"I don't think I like where this is going," Chandra said.

"I don't either," Jace said, "but for my plan to work we're going to need all the help we can get."

Three hours later, all 16 members of the Gatewatch were gathered with a handful of other allies as well.

"All right Jace, we're all here," Dimir guild master Lazav started, "now what's so important that it couldn't wait?" Many others from the ten guilds agreed that the call was short notice and were rightfully confused. There was a low murmur in the crowd of differing opinions.

"Everyone, everyone, hear me out," Jace said quieting the crowd, "the reason I called you all here is because the multiverse is in danger!"

"Didn't we just save it?" asked the Cult of Rakdos' guild master Rakdos.

"Yes, we did," Jace continued, "but a threat has arisen once again, the same threat actually."

"Are you referring to Nicol Bolas?" asked the Boros guild master Aurelia.

"I thought we killed him," said Niv-Mizzet who is now the living guildpact.

"No... he isn't dead," Jace stated grimly, "we couldn't kill him so Ugin and I came up with a plan. His corps was one of my illusions, Ugin took the real Nicol Bolas and trapped him in a plane that only they knew about, but somehow, he escaped."

"So the most powerful and dangerous being in existence is on the loose again?" asked Dimir's most deadly assassin Etrata.

"I'm afraid so," admitted Jace.

"And you didn't think to tell us sooner?" asked the Orzhov's second in command Teysa. All of the non planeswalkers uproared in agreement while the members of the Gatewatch tried to calm them down.

"I know that you all must feel betrayed," Jace yelled, "but right now we have to prepare for the worst! The members of the Gatewatch will hunt him down and recapture him before he regains his power!"

"There are only 16 of you," Niv-Mizzet pointed out, "it would take you an eternity to find him!"

"Not if we have help," Jace assured everyone, "we will bring more planeswalkers back to Ravnica to help us."

"What happens when you find him?" asked Rakdos' star performer Judith.

"Nicol Bolas was able to bring his dreadhoard army here, so I believe that we can do the same and send our armies to where ever he is. Now, prepare your guilds for another war, we will mobilize as soon as we know where he is, dismissed!" Every one that wasn't part of the Gatewatch left, but Jace had more to say. "Planeswalkers, we have a lot of work to do, so let me explain what I need from everyone. Ral, Karn, and Ugin, I need the three of you to work on an interplaner bridge like Bolas had. Work with the Izzet league and use any resources they have, shouldn't be hard considering Ral's their guild master. Kaya, Vraska, and Sorin. I need you to keep searching for Liliana, but bring her in alive, we need all the help we can get. Ajani, Tayo and I will stay here and try to keep the citizens as calm as possible and help out the guilds in any way we can. As for the rest of you, gather more planeswalkers and bring them here, unlike last time, we will be prepared."

"Yes sir," the Gatewatch called as all but three planeswalked away.

"What's wrong Jace?" Ajani asked.

"Am I really cut out to lead?" Jace asked the white leonen.

"What are you talking about? Of course you are!" Tayo assured his leader, "you earned your place here with the others, I'm just lucky you guys let me join you."

"You kept countless alive during the war, you earned your place as well," Jace told Tayo, "but I feel like you would be a better choice for Gidion's successor Ajani. I may know a lot, but I'm not a leader."

"You not only directed the planeswalkers to the best course of action," Ajaini said, "you also managed to keep the ten guilds calm enough to give them orders, I couldn't have done that. Weather you believe it or not, you are the best choice for this."

"Thank you my friend," Jace said obviously relieved, "I will do my best to live up to your expectations."

878 words. And you thought I forgot about the other planeswalkers. The Gatewatch still has no idea that Bolas is on Earth and the people of Earth still have no idea that Bolas is even real. I know that I said this was an adventure and that the story is kind of slow right now, but it will pick up soon, I promise. Two more chapters. See you guys then.