𝑪𝒉. 4 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒂𝒖𝒏𝒂 𝑻𝒆𝒔𝒕

Hey guys! Here's the calm before the storm (because believe me, the next chapter shall be fucking intense)! The image above is Dylan's outfit for this episode. Hope you enjoy!

———————

Once the three arrived back home, Dylan explained to the girls what he felt—or lack there of—and how Heather seemed somehow jointed to Billy. But even with this Max still displayed skepticism.

"Dyl I think it's just your worry getting to your head again," she said in a pitying tone that made him scowl. "Just relax, okay? We checked and nothing was wrong."

"But it doesn't make any sense!" Dylan presses, running a frustrated hand through his hair. "Why the fuck would Heather give off a conjoining vibe with Billy?"

Max sighed. "I'm telling you, it's just nerves," she placated, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Everything's fine now—Heather's fine; Billy's fine; you can relax." She turned to El and gave her a smile. "The two of you."

El frowned. "He's right," she murmured. "It doesn't make sense: Heather; the blood; the ice...."

The fucking conjoint sense, Dylan thought bitterly in his mind.

Max twisted her lips and shrugged. "Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now," Max suggested casually, "that has to be it; I don't know where that blood came from but—" she took a deep breath, "we saw her—we both saw her—she's totally fine."

Dylan made a face. "None of that explains the—"

Max groaned. "Dyl, would you knock it off with the sense thing?" She asked exasperatedly. "You said so yourself, you couldn't sense either of them so how would you be able to sense that?"

Dylan glowered. That was the problem—that was what he didn't fucking know.

But he wasn't gonna vocalize that. He had before and Max still didn't understand—and he doubted El would as well, to not fault of her own. Or Max's, he supposed. If they had the Sense, he guessed they would be able to understand the utter turmoil going on in his brain right now.

"You're right," he lied, rubbing his face. "You're right, sorry, I'm just—tired, I guess."

Max smiled at him. "It's okay," she murmured, rubbing his shoulder. "In a day or two we'll all forget this stuff ever happened."

Oh, if only that were true.

Dylan gave her a weak smile before slowly getting up off her bed.

"I think I'll sleep in my room tonight," he mumbled, causing Max to frown.

"Are you upset with me?" She asked, looking guilty. "I didn't mean to be rude Dyl, I just—"

Dylan shook his head. "Max, I'm not upset," he said solemnly, smiling assuringly. "I'm just tired and I wanna go to sleep early. Plus I don't want to intrude in this little girls night your having," he said gesturing to the two of them.

Max rolled her eyes with a smile while El looked up at him with doe eyes. "You never in-trude," she said, sounding out the semi-foreign word. God, she was cute.

Dylan smiled softly at her. "Thanks El, but I think I want to sleep in my own bed tonight if that's okay with you guys."

"Of course," Max said soothingly. "We'll talk in the morning?"

Dylan gave her a tight-lipped smile and nodded. Fortunately for him it wasn't noticeable to them.

"Goodnight," he murmured, walking out the door.