Chapter 18 : "I'm yours"

(First Person POV)

I find myself back in Adelton, wearing the exact same clothes that i died in, and standing in front of the bar i once used to work and live at. The weather is gloomy and humid, as if it had just rained a few minutes ago. There are some people quietly walking on the wet streets, minding their own business.

"So this is the afterlife, huh?" I think to myself. "Oh well, I guess Adelton isn't that bad of a place to be till the end of time."

I remember clearly what happened. It felt as if it was just a split second ago when I froze to death in Elsa's arms. Even though i am overwhelmed with sadness to leave her so soon, it gave me solace to know that my last words were "Elsa.. I love you". At least if i had to go, that would be the best way to go. I sigh before looking up at the oh-so-familiar sign board in front of the entrance to this corner shop lot.

The Adelton Bar

Quite a cheesy name, i know. Even Jack wondered why it's called The Adelton Bar when there were plenty of other bars in town, with most of them having much better ratings.

However, violence was common no matter which bar you went to. Most of the time, pirates, stowaways, and travelling migrant workers would be the usual culprit. It's not out of the ordinary that there would be a few cases of theft, assault, and even murder here on a weekly basis.

But living in a bustling port town does have its advantages, one of them being the opportunity to meet travellers and vagabonds from all corners of the world.

As a teenager, Jack discovered saloon music when he met a businessman from the New World, also known as America. Jack said that the businessman gave him a thick book of music sheets in exchange for a box of mangoes, as Jack was a fruit merchant at the time. Little did he know, that businessman had forever changed Jack's life for the better that day.

Years later, Jack went on to win a scholarship at the Adelton's College of Arts to study music. He eventually became one of the most famous bar pianists in town, and Ragtime was popularized here because of him.

I open the door and enter the bar. As soon as i do so, a chubby female customer in sailor uniform stomps towards me with a look of anger on her face.

"FUCK THAT BITCH!" She belts, looking me in the eye.

"Hey!" I respond. "Calm down, lady! Calm dow-"

She walks right through me, which takes me by surprise, obviously.

"What the hell?" I think aloud. "Am i like a ghost in the afterlife? That kinda sucks to be honest."

I shrug it off and make my way further into the bar. At the centre, i see a young pianist sitting down at the piano, playing The Entertainer. Truly a classic, it never failed to make the guests tap their toes to it's jolly beat.

I recognize the pianist as the person who replaced me when i set off on my expedition. I think his name is Marc. We have only met once, which was on the day i left Adelton. He plays almost exactly like me... upbeat, lively, and with a big smile on his face.

I look around this familliar building in awe. Everything here is exactly how it was when i left a few months ago. The old wooden furniture still hasn't been replaced yet, the bartender is the same old fat guy, and the guests are as loud and rowdy as i remember them to be.

I realise that coming back to a place that never changes after a long time, will make a person realise how much they have changed over said time. I truly felt that, and tears begin to well in my eyes.