Prologue

"My Lord, we have to evacuate! The human forces are drawing near."

"What of the women and children?"

"They are safe, but the crown is my concern now. Please, my King, it is time."

King Audley's brow furrowed, the pressing of his men not having the intended effect. He stood at the  window, overlooking the onslaught of the humans, needless bloodshed. So this is how it end, he ponders, his silence palatable. His skillful eyes scan the mob of intruders, seeking out any friendly face. Finding none, they glint dangerously, his red fire beginning to surge.

As though his thoughts are read, a squire speaks up, "Sire, I understand your hesitancy. But the caverns are prepared and time is running short."

"And what of their memory," the King spits, his inner fire trying to break free. After living side by side in harmony, the humans were battling over their lands, over their world. King Audley had supported humans, taking them in and shown them kindness in times of famine, illness, and fear. Yet, they storm his lands, his kindness but a memory of what laid before them.

"We are prepared. We can release the draught as we leave. It will have no impact on mythical creatures, be them humanoid or true, faeries, or other. But I urge you, my Lord. They are at our gates!" Sir Reginald states, his eyes glued to the King. Ever loyal, his allegiance never falters, not even now. As though heralded by the words as they are spoken, a barricade can be heard raking into the gate.

King Audley huffs loudly, a puff of smoke escaping his lips. His inner dragon was battling to escape, but he knew to keep him caged to protect their secret. "Do it then. We will start out for the caverns. Make haste - I want our lives to continue quickly."

Sir Reginald nods and observes the King leaving his chamber. Releasing a sigh of relief, Sir Reginald walks to the very place the King was standing, overlooking the battle. He finally looks up to the turrets where shifted dragons awaited his signal. They had consumed the draught and were prepared for the next phase. In a blink of an eye, Reginald released an earth-shaking roar. The signal!

The dragons immediately took off. As they flew, they were quickly followed by a purple smoke, pouring from their mouths. Sir Reginald watched as it fell among the humans, covering them, confusing them. Slowly, one by one, he watched the multitude of bodies begin to drop, their national colors covering the ground. Content with its effectiveness, he started off for the caverns to rejoin his King. He knew the dragons would follow their plan - travel their route, pass the baton, until the globe was covered in the purple haze. Humans would fall and pass into a deep sleep.

When they wake, they will not remember the time where dragons and humans co-existed. In fact, it will all become a myth.