Chapter 2

Walking the campus one last time, Cahill Hughes had little time for something as pathetic as reminiscing. Despite it being the day of his graduation, his family wasn't in attendance, more pressing business having taken priority. His entire life, his parents had prepared him for this path and he had taken each step to the letter of their desire, only to be left without someone to celebrate when he sees it through.

Sure, they had sent "people" to help take care of his dorm room, but it hardly replaced them. Regardless, he didn't even have much in his room. The last month of his time at Fairweather University had been spent at an officer retreat, finalizing his training as a soldier and officer, prepared to enter the military. He wasn't entering the military though. He was far above the likes of human military.

As the thought crossed his mind, he shook his head to try and dislodge it. How could they possibly think they were superior? They had forgotten everything, all the lore, all the help. His world had been reduced to that of mere stories. As his lip curled in disgusted, a quiet snarl escaping, he heard a message come through his phone. Seeing the sender, Cahill rolled his eyes:

Honeybun, we are proud of you. So sorry we can't be there, but we know you are amazing. Got to jet, business calls. Tootles, ciao!

Gee, thanks "mom-of-the-year."  The fire he had been holding back began to surge forward. How dare they do this, thinking their honeyed words would make up for this. He took a moment to exhale, pulling his fire back to a simmer, but he had no doubt someone would feel the brunt of his despair.

Once calmed, he looked around, not realizing he had broken into a jog during his rage. He didn't recognize the area of campus he was in, though the flowers and greenery made it enticing. He observed families helping other students move out, not knowing if they were seniors or underclassmen. His four years had been a blur, though relatively easy considering his family's business. He had balanced obtaining a degree in International Business and become an officer in field school, without breaking a sweat. Not to mention the countless social parties and conquests.

Thinking of his rogue behavior, Cahill began to smirk. His smile brought a bit of life to his face, which normally was characterized as, "brooding" - or so he had been told. He walked across the road in front of the nearby dorm and leaned against a tree, letting the memories wash over him. There had been frat parties and sports parties, football games and military games, sorority girls and meek, quiet girls. A gentleman, he would never kiss and tell. Well, almost never.

"Hey, wait up, man!" Seamus came running up to him, as though he heard his thought. Well, speak of the devil, Cahill chuckled softly to himself. If anyone knew about his indiscretions in great detail, it was Seamus. He watched as his friend came over. He stood about 6'2", his blond hair cut short to meet field school requirements. His friend loved to keep his hair long but it wasn't an option in field school. To avoid temptation, as well as the angry eye of the drill sergeants, he clipped it. It was likely for his best because his physique had nothing to hide behind. Like the rest of the "family," he was fit, causing him to look dashing in his school uniform.

Cahill waited a moment while Seamus caught his breath, "What is it, Seamus? Surely there isn't anything pressing to see to this close to graduation."

Seamus finally stood up, his breathing evened. It was hard to run and suppress a fire and a shift all at once. No matter how in-shape he was, it took a lot of energy. "Nah, man. Just can't leave you hanging without your wingman. What are you chasing today?"

"I hate to burst your bubble but today, I'm not chasing anything. I'm running from my anger."

Cahill saw his friend's brow knot up, a look of concern washed across his face. As fast as the concern came, so came the dawning of his realization. "Cahill, don't tell me your parents can't be here again. After everything? You gotta be kidding."