Chapter 13

Cahill walked slightly ahead of Evie, holding the door open as they walked into the night air. The humidity that hung in the air clung to Evie, wrapping her in a blanket of warmth. Even so, a light breeze tickled her cheek, caressing her face slightly. She breathed in deeply, inhaling the wonderful aromas that had become so familiar in only a week's time: street food, cafes, and the sweet smell of the buildings cooling down after being beaten in the sun. She swore she saw the city physically breathe a sigh of relief now that the sun had dipped below the horizon and the stars were twinkling and winking at the pedestrians below. Evie closed her eyes and took in everything, not noticing that Cahill had come to stand beside her.

"What are you doing, waiting for another accident?" Cahill marveled, teasing her. He watched the starlight play with the blond strands of her hair. The way she moved; the faint light made her icy blue eyes glow in the darkness. Beautiful, Cahill thought, mesmerized by Evie's appearance.

Evie stopped and looked at him, her eyes wide in delight. "I'm embracing the evening sky," she told him innocently. She winked and asked, "Why? Are you jealous?"

Cahill threw her a devilish grin and motioned their way with his hand. "If it pleases you, I thought we would walk. The restaurant isn't far, and the weather is nice."

Evie could only manage to nod in agreeance, suddenly feeling very timid and shy. She walked side-by-side with Cahill. They remained quiet, but the tension filled the void. As their arms aimlessly swung by their sides, brief brushes with hands and hips sent jolts of electricity surging through their bodies. Each seemed lost in their own world, each seemed to be searching for the other to find them.

Cahill was the one to break the silence. "So, what brought you to the city?"

Evie shrugged, "I guess the stereotypical quest to find myself." She looked at him. "I never felt like I really belonged. Like I was lost in my hometown."

Cahill looked back and nodded. "I can understand."

"YOU?! There is no way you can get how I feel!" Evie insisted, but a look of mockery danced in the corners of her mouth and the sparkle of her eye.

Cahill nearly lost it and worked to ground himself. She isn't ready for it yet, he thought. "Yes, believe it or not," Cahill replied. "I may have been popular but that doesn't mean I felt I belong."

Evie looked down, nodding slightly, seeming to accept his explanation. They continued walking, settling into the silence. "Where are we going?" Evie asked.

Cahill smiled, "A charming café I discovered that serves divine cuisine. I thought it would be an easy way to settle into this dah..." He stopped himself and hoped she hadn't caught it.

He was mistaken. Evie smiled broadly, raising an eyebrow. "This date?" She looked down, clasping her hands behind her back as they continued to walk. "I certainly am not dressed for a date. I merely thought it was a business meeting."

Cahill watched as she glanced down at her dress and appraised her attire. He held his breath as she smoothed the wrinkled fabric, wiping away evidence of her recent struggle. He bit his lip as her hands reached the nape of her neck, smoothing the fine hairs. The neck he longed to nuzzle, to kiss, to have as his. "Uh, you look amazing," Cahill stammered. He softly cursed himself for not being smoother. He glanced over and thought he saw Evie blushing. He looked more directly at her and she was. Though it was dark outside on their walk, he could see the color creeping into her cheeks, feeling the warmth suddenly radiating from her hand. Feeling emboldened, he continued, "Truth be told, I always found you beautiful."

"Then why did you stay away in high school?" Evie asked. She searched his eyes for a secret response, but Cahill was not letting her in that easy.

"I had a lot of expectations on me," he answered, the lie slipping from his tongue was so easily rehearsed. Truth be told, Cahill did have a lot of expectations, but not in the human realm. His enrollment in the high school was to placate human authorities, to make his presence known so he didn't just seem to appear. It was to make his presence normal. He only was in school half a day on average, splitting his time with Mythics subjects and lessons on how to be royal. "I guess making friends was an afterthought."