Chapter 3

Evangeline shuddered, a breath of warm air floating across her skin. Though it should be warm, it sent a chill down her spine. It was as though someone was watching her. But she couldn't escape it. Even when she blinked or closed her eyes, she could see bright green eyes piercing through the darkness. Almost lizard-like...

Rousing herself from her trance, she glanced at her watch. "Oh shoot! It's two o'clock. I have to report to line up for commencement at 2:15 and it's across campus. Sorry, Mom and Dad, but I need to run. I'm already going to be late with needing to get into my cap and gown. Glad we could have a last meal together," Evangeline laughed.

"We understand, we just get so caught up in reminiscing. You can't blame us, Evie," her mom coos, tears already about to overflow her emotional dam.

Without even looking at her mom, her dad wrapped his wife in a hug, enveloping her in his arms and kissing the top of her head. "Come on now, sweetheart. You and I can stroll the campus and continue our literal walk down Memory Lane." With a wink from her dad and the soft latching of the door, they were gone.

Evangeline rushed into her now-barren room and began unpacking her cap and gown. She had planned her attire to suit the day. Her curvaceous figure was complimented by an empire-waist sundress that flared out at her hips, leaving her waist tiny against her hourglass figure. The pink flowers seemed almost real in the sunlight, with only the black outline to prove it was fabric. The broad straps graced her shoulders and she had paired the dress with wedges with a wicker-like material. She twirled, losing herself momentarily, watching the fabric flow and turn with every movement. Coming to her senses, she pulled on the forest green cap and gown, the sheen from the finish almost glinting in the sunlight. The golden tassel fell carefully by her face, and the gold honor stole was draped behind her neck. After one more turn, Evangeline darted for the door, her clock showing she had 5 minutes to get to the line-up.

Thank goodness I've already checked out, she thought, breathless from her feet rushing to make the deadline. She wished to have time to honor the closing of her dorm room but there was no time. The campus flew by her as she ran, as quickly as she felt the 4 years did. As she neared the gym, Evangeline slowed her pace, catching her breath and smoothing her attire as she went.

"Hello, Ms. Charon. Oh, your tassel needs to be adjusted. There!" Mrs. Griffith fussed over her, straightening the now disheveled stole. Evangeline smiled at her, her favorite English professor on campus. Mrs. Griffith always encouraged Evangeline's writing and offered her much guidance and drive. "I'm so proud of you dear," the teary teacher stuttered out.

As she walked away, Evangeline glanced over her shoulder to see the professor's gaze following her briefly before dabbing her eyes with a handkerchief and turning to tend to the next nearly-late senior. She made her way to the table, checked in and got the number of her position.

Once she located number 238, Evangeline stepped into line and sighed. Now, we wait, she thought, nerves beginning to tickle and tingle along her body. She felt she wouldn't be able to stop smiling, almost permanent plastered across her face. This was it, her final step in this chapter. Well, maybe more like 50 across the stage on the front lawn, but it was here. She was considering her last few moments on campus when something caught her attention out of the corner of her eye.

Two men in the school's uniform were walking nearby, to their place behind her in line. One had a common military cut, blond, and undoubtedly handsome. But his companion looked familiar, standing a few inches taller. His dark hair was slicked back, the light reflecting off the gel that helped to tame the curls that she saw peeking from behind his head. His skin was bronze as though he had been tanning on the beach, though it was likely accomplished from field school. The two men were smiling at one another, clearly lost in their conversation, when suddenly the taller man turned his face towards her, his bright green eyes holding her captive for a moment.