Chapter 21

Evie had spent the evening, studying Arual, trying to figure out what was wrong. She watched her sneak to the bathroom and come back, her eyes red and puffy like she'd been crying. Yet, Ary refused to answer her questions of concern, merely shaking her head and insisting everything was fine. Fine. A detestable word for her friend to use.

The night had slipped from their fingers as much as their dreams slipped from their sleep. Lydia, Evie, and Ary all woke up, feeling refreshed, the morning light playing with the shadows in the penthouse. They quickly found their way into the kitchen and began preparing breakfast. They were all chattering away when Lydia stopped and looked at Ary. "You never elaborated on your boyfriend." As she ended her statement, she wriggled her eyebrows, sending everyone into a fit of giggles, including Ary.

"No, but it's...okay."

Evie watched her, the shift in her demeanor apparent. "What's wrong, Ary? Is he treating you well?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I mean, yes. You know, he just doesn't know how easily he can scare me."

Evie and Lydia exchanged a look, fear for Ary reflected in their eyes. "He hasn't hurt you, right?"

"No, Lydia. I'm just jumpy."

Evie was confused. This wasn't the Arual she knew and loved, her best friend. Her best friend was fearless and brave. Her best friend would beat boys up, not cower down. "This isn't you. What are you on?"

"Damn it, Evie! Can this not be about you for once?"

Evie jumped at the sudden outburst. Something was wrong. "Ary, calm down. I only stated..."

"Bullshit! Such a prick, you know? You and your family are living a perfect life. Meanwhile, it's just me and Dad. Fuck off."

Lydia slunk away, careful to make her presence appearing to vanish. Evie carefully drew close to Ary, pulling her into her chest. Once they were locked, she felt Ary's body shaking, overcome with sorrow. "What has happened?"

Ary met her eyes, the light she once saw in Ary's eyes faintly glowing. "I don't know, Evie. But I'm scared." With that comment, the light was gone and the Ary she held was full of fear and anger.

Ary let out a cry, pushing Evie off of her with all her might. Once free, she stood to her full height and slapped Evie across the face. "Stay the hell outta my life." She turned on her heel and made her way to the door, leaving her breakfast cold and abandoned. As she opened the door, she didn't bother to look back when she said, "I will let you know when I want to be found." The door slammed shut.

Once the shock had vanished, Evie melted into a puddle in the floor, her knees pulled into her chest. This wasn't her friend. This was a monster, a mystery, something dangerous. She hadn't even noticed when Lydia suddenly appeared beside her, patting and rubbing her back. Lydia was murmuring quiet words, or what Evie thought were words. They seemed to be in another language. Evie felt her body go limp, beginning at the tip of her toes and spreading slowly like warm water, as though she was entering a bath.

She looked around and realized she had somehow gotten into the bath. Evie heard rummaging around outside the bathroom door and wasn't surprised as Lydia walked back into the room. "Good, you're awake."

"What happened?"

"Shock, dear. You slipped unconscious briefly. I thought the bath would help revitalize you. Do you remember anything?" The words came from Lydia with great caution and care, which Evie appreciated.

She shook her head, appearing puzzled. "Bits and pieces but not of Ary. A long hallway, haze, shimmer." She looked up as Lydia expectantly. "Any of this make sense to you?"