Chapter 19

They continued to chat over dinner, Evie describing her job in great detail, down to the balance sheets she handled daily. Her parents told Evie they had, indeed, changed her room into a salt mine, only to laugh at their own joke. Even Evie's smile cracked across her tired face, dabbing tears of joy from the corners of her eyes. Then, their discussion turned to one about heritage and family.

Her mom and dad were both intrigued and interested in Evie's new identity, desperate to understand how this may have happened. Though Evie wasn't entirely certain, they spent time speculating, reviewing their families lines through Europe, over the Atlantic. They all mourned the difficult times that their family fell upon, the inspection at Ellis Island, the long days and nights where jobs were short, as was food.

Their chat quickly turned to one of hope, how their family was able to rise from the ashes like a phoenix. How their forefathers had embodied the American dream. "These times though," Evie's dad lamented. "These times makes you wonder what is left of the American dream." Evie and her mother nodded in agreement, both knowing that was quickly becoming a complicated quest.

Evie's mom had attempted numerous times to open her own small business. However, she struggled with securing a location, even just shelf space in an existing boutique, requiring her to borrow and ask for more money from various financial institutions. Money quickly ran out and the banks refused her any more money. Her mom abandoned her dream for the securities of an hourly wage. Even so, the pay was barely enough for them to get by at the beginning of their marriage.

"My American dream is alive and well," her mom declared, her words strong and with conviction. Evie watched her mom's eyes filled with hope, in awe at how she seemed to read her thoughts. "I only hope that the struggle makes achieving my dream that much sweeter."

Their meal came to an end, their conversation died down as the heat left their tea. Evie found herself checking her phone more frequently and looking around, confused about Aoife's continued absence. Her mom noticed and smiled at her. "So, tell us about Cahill."

"He's a perfect gentleman, Mom. Probably too perfect, honestly. He's only kissed me on the cheek."

"Sound perfect to me," her dad muttered. Evie poked him in response, a smile growing on his face. "What?" The trio dissolved into laughter, picking up their belongings and heading for the door.

Outside, two black vehicles waiting for them: one for Evie and one for her parents. Her mom took Evie's face into her arms and kissed each cheek and her forehead. "I love you, Evie. Let us know if you need anything."

Her mom gave way for her dad to pull Evie into his arms. She lost herself in his arms and his smell, her head against his strong chest. "You're our everything, Evie. We will help you however you need us to." He, too, kissed her on her forehead and, with a last lingering look, the car took them into the night in the direction of home.

Evie waved feverishly after the car, uncertain if they were able to see her or if they were waving back. Getting into the other car, Evie made her way back to Cahill's penthouse. Her mind replayed the discussion of the day, between the lessons from Ethelinda and the family history from her parents. Neglecting to check the time, she automatically dialed Cahill.

"Hello?" His voice was groggy and deep with sleep tumbling off his lips.

"I'm so sorry I woke you, Cahill."

"No, no. Don't be. I was just dreaming about you."

Evie's ears perked up. "Dreaming about me? You haven't spent enough time with me for that to happen."

She heard him chuckle, the sound emerging from his throat. "You don't know what I see. How I have remembered your curves, including the one in your smile. How I know the dimples in your cheeks or the twinkle in your eye. Oh Bright Eyes, you are very much alive in my dreams."