Chapter 22

Evie felt as though she was marching to her execution, Ethelinda leading and Lydia flanking her side. Lydia had her hand lightly wrapped around the bend of her elbow. Evie would normally view this as a display of concern, but today it felt as though a warden was ensuring she didn't escape. She was numb with the news of not only meeting Cahill's parents, but also having to recount her nightmare. Evie didn't even recall how she got into the car, she couldn't make sense of what anyone said, and the world was like a blur around her. Her senses were dulled to those around her.

The next real recognition of something familiar came as the car slowed in front of the community center. The corners of Evie's mouth curled into a smile as she reflected on all the positivity that came with this location. Her joy was short lived when she noticed there was a small crowd gathered at the entrance. "Ethelinda, why are all these people here?"

Ethelinda was lost in giving direction to the driver and Evie noticed Lydia's eyes were as big as saucers at the same sight. Noticing her gaze, Lydia's hands went up in a defensive position. "Don't look at me. I have no idea what's happening."

"I should think it was apparent, Evie."

Evie shifted her gaze quickly to Ethelinda at her statement. "Um, no, not really. Can't say that it is."

"You're the Fated One to the Crown Prince of an entire species that has been forced to live in secrecy. Not only that, but you were raised human. They're here to see who their future queen will be."

Evie tried to swallow literally and figuratively and found both a struggle. Reflexively, she began to smooth her clothes and suddenly realized she was dressed in the most casual attire and likely not becoming. She felt a hand delicately rest on her wrist and met Lydia's calming eyes. "Evie, this is just us. They will adore you. But there are bigger things...lives at stake."

Evie exhaled and nodded toward Lydia, her eyes shifting to her wringing hands. She closed her eyes and focused on the shimmery haze in her Corridor. Where she had found peace and calming. Though she hated to admit it, she also found Aoife there as well. In the farthest corners of her mind, she heard Ethelinda's voice at a whisper: "Where'd she learn to do that?!"

Evie slowly shook herself out of her meditation and opened her eyes to Ethelinda's face holding disbelief. She smiled and gestures toward Lydia. "She told me about the Corridor and I guess I found my way. It was just so calming."

"That's fairly advanced stuff. You must be a very strong Mythic." Ethelinda moved to turn back around and stopped just before she did. "Did you happen to meet anyone while you were there?"

Evie nodded. "Yes. It said it was my dragon."

"It?"

"Well, all I saw was a ball of energy. No human form. So I don't know how to call it."

Before anyone could respond, the static of the radio interrupted the conversation. Evie vaguely made out the directions for presentation and the crowd continued inside. Ethelinda responded with a curt, "10-4" and placed the receiver back down. The car was silent as it came to its final stop.

As the other occupants left the vehicle, Evie took a few moments to take deep breaths. Her heart felt as though it would flutter out of her chest, her palms dewy with sweat. Her anxiety was heightened only more by the faint sound of her name being chanted outside of the door. With a final breath, she plastered on a welcoming smile and opened the door.

"EVANGELINE! EVANGELINE! EVANGELINE!"

As she waved, a cheer went up for the crowd. "Thank you all for greeting me. But really, there is nothing to see here."