Chapter 17

Over the next four weeks, Evie fell into a routine. Each day, she'd go into the office and spend the mornings, pouring over the latest project financial statements, preparing for her afternoon full of meetings on those numbers. She spent lunch with Mrs. Reilly, receiving some counseling from her traumatic encounter with Mr. Chromeon. As for talking to Cahill, he punctuated her day with HChats and phone calls, each time not saying much. Each time, making her miss him more.

She found the time beginning to run together. She missed her friends and family. She had been so busy with the project launch, she worked long hours during the week and slept over the weekend. Okay, so my "long nights" are more for talking to Cahill. Evie smiled as she reflected on how far she had come in a month at her new job: a fancy assignment and uncovering a deep vein of systemic sexual harassment. She felt accomplished and yet, so unfulfilled.

Then, she thought about that attack and how, every night, she relives it in some fashion. Frequently in the form of kidnapping but other times, an exact replica of its occurrence. Shivering, Evie made her way home, asking the cabbie to stop by Tea Bound Cafe. She ran through the cold rain and emerged with an earl grey latte, her latest favorite. Sam never let her down, familiar with her palette and opening her mind to new flavors and ideas.

Another Friday, another lonely weekend. Evie leaned her head against the window of the taxi, knowing that the drive from here was short but would take time due to traffic. She plucked her phone from her bag and looked through the contacts, settling on her mom. She smiled and sent a text: Hey mom :) I'd love to have some city Chinese with you and dad this weekend. How does Saturday sound?

Hitting send, she went back to watching the world pass her. Sitting stationary in the car helped her think, forced her to think. The gentle pitter patter of the rain was a somber drone that brought her peace. She closed her eyes, breathing in through her nose and out through her mouth. She felt every fiber of her being relaxed as there was a cheery chime from her phone.

We would LOVE to, honey. Are you sure you aren't too busy?

Very sure, Mom. Can't wait. I'll have our favorite ordered up. See you around 5:30!

She looked up and noticed the taxi had since stopped, sitting outside of her apartment building. She thanked the driver and quietly handed him the money for the ride, with a little extra as a tip. She opened the door and dashed to the building door, attempting to dodge the raindrops, giggling. This was a game she grew up playing. She let herself in and made her way up the staircase. Stopping to get to check her mailbox, Evie was so lost in her thoughts, she almost missed it. Her door was open, forcible entry apparent. She dropped everything she was holding as tears began to flow down her cheeks, overwhelmed and mortified. Between sobs, Evie lifted her phone and dialed 9-1-1. After filing a police report and providing her information for the detective to come, she wiped her tears and made one additional phone call.

"Aoife? I need you." Evie paused, a new flood of tears and sorrow breaking. "There's been a break-in."

***

The last month had been trying for Cahill. He tried to make use of his time in the Irish office, wading through the manure the last office manager had left. But it was slow going and his worries about Evie made it more complicated. He massaged his temples with his fingers, warding off the headache that was threatening him. He was struggling. How do I protect my Fated One? How do I remain concealed? His thoughts were interrupted by the ring of his cell phone. "Aoife?"

"Thank God, Cahill." His ears perked up. She sounded breathless. "I was worried you wouldn't answer."

"What's wrong?" He could feel his blood pressure rising, the adrenaline kicking.