Chapter 8

The next few days flew by as a blur for Evangeline. It felt as though she was standing still as the boxes mysteriously piled up around her. She vaguely remembered placing the yearbook in a box and bagging up her new wardrobe. Beyond that, she was amazed so much as done in a few short days. On the morning of her move, she stood in her living room as the boxes were piled into the U-Haul. Her mom came up behind her and wrapped her arms around her daughter's neck, no easy feat given she was slightly shorter. She lifted herself on her toes and quickly pecked Evangeline's cheek.

Evangeline turned to her mom and smiled, holding her hand to her cheek. "What was that for, Mom?"

"Because I'm amazed at how strong and confident of a young woman you have become," she replied, smiling broadly. She turned Evangeline sound to face her and looked in her eyes. "Sweetheart, just know that you can always come home. If the city isn't what you thought it would be or even if the job doesn't work. We love you. That will never change."

They pulled into a hug. Evangeline committed the embrace of her mom to memory. The way her hair tickled her nose, the smell of home-baked cookies, and the gentle squeeze of her hands with intermittent pats on her back. "I know, Mom. I would be lying if I didn't say I was terrified. But I am so glad I have a soft place to land."

Just then, her dad came in. "Alrighty, gals, it's time for us to head out to the truck and drive into the future!" Catching Evangeline and her mom in mid-embrace, he stops, his voice softening. "Evie, are you ready?"

Evangeline turned and saw her dad's eyes softening, heavy with worry and concern. It took her two steps to be enveloped in his arms. "Yes, Dad. I am as ready as I can be. Mom was telling me how you will NOT be converting my room."

"Aw, Mary, come on!" her dad said, sarcastically. "We talked about the yoga room we could have. Ooh, and what about the salt cave?" His eyes danced with a joke, the tears hidden behind the cover.

Evangeline's mom shrugged and smiled. "Sorry, Peter. Guess we will have to detox elsewhere."

"Come now, my ladies. Your oversized box truck chariot awaits."

They made their way to the truck, this time Evangeline's dad walking with her, one arm around her shoulders in a protective way. Her mom paused at the door to lock up before they left. They piled into the truck, her dad driving, Evangeline in the middle, and her mom in the passenger seat. As they pulled away from the curb, Evangeline glanced at her home, wondering what the future may hold for her. They sat in relative silence, uncertain of what to say to one another. All Evangeline could do was look forward and begin to chase her future.

***

"Cahill! Come on and liven up, bud!"

Cahill looked up from his glass, the whiskey and coke now watered down from him holding it too long. He saw Seamus, who was shamelessly dancing with all the gorgeous girls in the bar. He smirked at him, "And what exactly would you have me do?"

"I don't know. Grab a girl and get your mind off of your future. Tonight is worth living to the fullest, as much as tomorrow!" Not waiting for him to respond, Seamus returned to the bevy of beauties he was quickly forming, offering to buy them all a drink. Cahill watched as he slipped away.

Confident he was alone for a bit, Cahill returned to his thoughts, floating to a discussion his parents had with him. The "talk" for dragon shifters like him.

"You see, Cahill. Every one of us has a Fated One. Someone we were destined to be with. Someone to share our life, our world with. As a member of royalty and heir to our business, it is important you know this in advance. Your Fated One will be perfect for all the future holds for you, all your life laid out on the horizon."