Chapter One: This is where I work

I inhaled deeply as the scent of fresh cut grass and barbeque filled my nostrils.  I smiled happily as I reached around behind me and pulled my large orange duffel out of the taxi.  I straightened out my skirt as I handed cash to the driver, who then continued to speed away, leaving me in a cloud of dust along the side of the road.  I shrugged my shoulders as I slung the strap to my bag over my shoulder and walked along the grassy dirt path towards the huge white and red striped tent. 

        As I neared closer, I could hear the sound of glasses clinking and people happily chatting and laughing amongst themselves.  I pulled back one of the canvas flaps and poked my head inside the dim area as I was greeted by several faces peering at me.  Everyone began to cheer as I giggled and looked around.  I didn't see Jimmy anywhere.  I stepped inside, dragging my heavy bag behind me as I shook hands with a man that set my bag under a table.  I was led over to a chair as I introduced myself.  I was just about to ask where my brother was when I felt a familiar tug on the end of my frizzy braid.  "Hey!"  I shouted.  I turned around and my eyes were met with Jimmy's, who had apparently just gotten to the celebration as well.  I stood up to give Jimmy a hug, when he instantly wrapped his arms around my back and lifted me up over his shoulder like he used to back home.  I screamed as I tried to hold my skirt down so it remained modest as I cried out for joy while also trying not to fall off of Jimmy's broad shoulder.  He happily set me back on my feet as he spun me in a circle.  I brushed my bangs back out of my face as he gave eachother a real hug this time.  "Little sis I haven't seen you in so long!"  I laughed as I playfully punched him in the arm.  "Loser, yes you have.  You just barely left home six months ago!" 

        Jimmy and I got reaquainted as we talked for over an hour about how my nursing was going, our mother's health, and Jimmy's new job while we ate our celebratory lunch, although I wasn't exactly sure what everyone was so happy about.  He personally introdced me to everyone, but the only names that I could really remember were Elsa Mars, who was Jimmy's boss and the ringmaster of the whole show, Amazon Eve, who was really kind to me and ever six and a half feet tall, along with Maggie Esmerelda, who was a fortune teller and could predict the future.  I wanted to go to her caravan and visit with her later. 

        After awhile of visiting with everyone and mingling throughout the small group, Jimmy showed me to his trailer where he was going to let me sleep.  As I entered I let out a chuckle.  I wasn't very surprised my the scene of it all.  Dishes to be washed, clothes in piles against the far wall, and a stack of miscellaneous books stood on the couch. "This is it!  Home sweet home, for now." he proudly announced to me as I made my way back to the bed where I set my bag down.  Of course, the bed wasn't made and the sheets were not tucked in under the mattress.  Classic Jimmy, always a slob.  Jimmy said that he had to go off for a few hours to practice for the performance tomorrow, and when I asked if I could go watch, his reply was, "No, of course not!  I want to surprise you tomorrow night instead of spoiling all of the acts for you now!  That isn't as fun, because I know you're going to be proud of me, so you just wait here or wander around and hangout for awhile, just don't go into the bigtop where we ate earlier!"

        I kissed Jimmy on the cheek as I waved him off to go to practice.  I took notice of my surroundings, and I wondered if Jimmy thought any of the other girls that worked here were attractive.  I made a mental note to ask him later, just so I could report back to mother later.  Jimmy had mentioned that he would be bunking with one of his freakshow buddies too, Paul, who was also known to the public as "seal boy" for his short, disfuctioning arms.  I sighed as I laid back onto Jimmy's bed.  I closed my eyes as a gentle breeze blew through the open window and into the room.  It was a lovely day outside in Atlanta, unlike the stormy weather we were currently having back home where mother was in Alberquerque right now, so I decided to go out for a walk alone for awhile while everyone was away in the tent currently and since I had a few hours to spend to myself, why not? 

        I soon found myself kicking rocks into the ditch alongside the gravel road that the taxi had dropped me off at just hours earlier.  The only sound I could hear were my own two feet and some birds in the distance, when suddenly, I heard the screech of car brakes as a little baby blue covertible in impecable condition pulled up alongside me and screeched to a halt.  I turned my head to look at the driver as he slowly cranked down the passenger side window.  He was extremely handsome.  He had dark hair and looked to be near his mid twenties.  He was wearing a button down shirt with a knit sweater vest ontop, even though it was hot outside.  He flashed me a smile as I waved.  Who was this man?