Chapter 44

"I said, I don't know what you're talking about."

Yeri was trembling terribly and close to the verge of tears. She never really had to deal with people coming after her when she ran away from the lab she was apart of. The fear was also for Haechan. She couldn't lose him. He was her little brother.

Before she could say anything more, he pushes aggressively past her and into the house. Yeri stumbles backwards with a loud yelp. Tears were streaming down her face, but she got up quickly despite being thrown to the ground.

"I will call the cops! Please leave!" Yeri shouts, trying to stop him from going any further into the house. It frustrated her that it wasn't working very well.

"Leave her alone!"

A voice grabs the two's attention. The male laughs, feeling successful at his finding. "Donghyuck. Found you."

"J-jaebum?" He couldn't believe at who was standing in front of him. "What are you doing here?"

Jaebum laughs before taking his gun back out. "I'm here to finish what I started. Your dad couldn't do it so I'm going to prove that I can. That gang can't seem to do shit to try and get you, but I can and I did." His arm raised up and pointed at Haechan.

"Please, don't try to do this, Bummie."

"DON'T CALL ME THAT. That name fucking annoys me. Just like you do. God, you're so fucking pathetic, clinging onto that nickname." Jaebum scuffs, before taking a step closer to the younger.

"Maybe," he pauses, "it should actually be her." Jaebum's arm points at Yeri now and without looking he makes a quick shot, purposely aiming for the lamp beside her. That causes her to scream. "Would that make you listen to me?"

Haechan jumped at the gunshot noise, but tries to keep a calm facade on. He was terrified, but he didn't want to show any weakness to his new enemy. It was one thing, going after his life. He can protect himself, but the moment it was aimed towards Yeri, Haechan was ready to fight. Even if it meant death.

"Leave, Jaebum. You're wasting your time," Haechan speaks through gritted teeth. Fear and anger were swirling in him. The anger was mainly towards himself for trusting the man with his life. That was the biggest mistake he made.

"No."

Jaebum moves his arm back up again, ready to actually fire at Yeri. It was like a slow motion scene in a movie. Haechan's heart felt like it would beat out of his chest as he watched Jaebum's finger slowly bend against the trigger. It was as if time seemed to stop, Yeri's face drenched in tears and rosy red from fear, Jaebum showed no emotion, he didn't care whose life was being taken, and Haechan with the composed look remaining.

Something clicked in him though and he thought about how far he had come, from being the scared and timid boy, who finally decided to break the chains that bound him, to where he was now. He had courage now and he had strength. He had people on his side finally and he wasn't going to let anyone get in that way.

Haechan didn't think much as he barely flicked a finger from the hand that laid by his side. Then, all of a sudden, the gun was out of Jaebum's hands and now in front of his face. Haechan felt the courage and pride rising in him. No one was going to hurt his family anymore. He makes one more swift motion with his finger and the gun goes off.

Jaebum was dead.