Chapter 29

When death takes my hand
I will hold you with the other
and promise to find you
    in every lifetime

— Rupi Kaur (The Sun and Her Flowers)

(Pretty please, play the song, guys to make the scene more realistic)

Third Person's POV.

Catherine suddenly froze when she heard her lover screamed in pain. It was like a stab to her heart, her body was sweating cold, her heartbeat was twice beating so loud in her chest. Her eyes held fear and shock.

She didn't know what happened to Justine, she kept on calling and calling but no one's answering.

She started to pace back and forth in her bedroom. It is 1 AM and she couldn't bring herself to sleep after what she heard.

She started to overthink of what happened to her lover but she stayed calm. Maybe there's just---

She tangled her hand in her hair, she doesn't know what to do, she wanted to go to her house and know what happened, but there's something deep inside her that tells her to wait.

Frustration was building up in her system, it seems like forever and her lover is still not calling.

She decided she would just go to her house to find out. Whatever it takes.

So she got out of her room and take the car keys in her hand.

While driving, her mind seems to run into miles, there were thoughts of possibilities of what happened to her lover but she ignored it. There are so many what ifs in her head but she concentrated her mind in driving.

She startled when she heard her phone ringing. She quickly tap the green button when she saw an unfamiliar number she clicked the speaker button and spoke, "Hello." she said calmly.

"Is this Catherine?" Said the unfamiliar voice, it was husky and from a man. Her mind started to think again uncontrollably but she remained calm before anything.

"Y-yes, may I know who is this?" She stuttered and redied herself from what's coming. She knows this, this happens in movies that she watched.

"This is PNP chief Manalo, we got your number from your girlfriend's phone I suppose. Is she you girlfriend?" He asked calmly like there is nothing going on right now.

"Y-yes, she is. What happened?" She started to shake in fear and blink rapidly trying to focus on the road.

"I just wanted to inform you that your girlfriend is in the hospital now in Marikina, she had an accident here in Marcos Highway 30 minutes ago." He said huskily remaining his poise and his voice of an officer in charge.

She started to tremble, her eyes are getting blurry, she illegally parked her car in the highway not caring if she would have a ticket or her car would crash into another vehicle like her lover's did.

Her tears started to escape from her eyes, painful hiccups and heavy breaths were echoing inside her car. She heard the police officer's voice trying to calm her down.

It was like a movie indeed. She thought that nothing of that would happen in her life, not her lover..

Her heart was like squeezing so tight in her chest that she couldn't breathe properly. She put her hand in her chest because it hurts so much and her breath was catching in her throat, she needed to breathe. She needs some fresh air.

"Ma'am? Ma'am, is everything okay?" She heard once again the man in the other line.

"Y-yes, I'm going to the hospital. Thank you." She didn't wait for the officer to respond and she suddenly ended the call that made her life came crashing down.