Chapter 13: Unexpected Encounters

The news of Jessica getting the position of prefect excited her parents a little bit too much. It was only the beginning of August and they insisted on taking her to Diagon Alley to buy her something special as a congratulatory present as well as to stock up on her school supplies already. It would be wise to avoid the back-to-school rush they always ended up experiencing on the week before she was set to return to Hogwarts.

Jessica wobbled on her feet as she landed by the entrance of Diagon Alley, her hands gripping her parents' arms a little bit too tightly as if she were a child. She had never gotten used to Apparating, but she hoped she would soon because she would be taking her Apparition test in less than two years already. Once she had stabilized herself, she let her parents go and straightened up.

"What do you want us to do first?" Katherine asked her daughter excitedly.

"You sound like it's my first time here," Jessica laughed.

"Well, this is a special occasion! It's not everyday you get chosen as Prefect."

"She's right," Ian said. "We'll get you something special. How about a cat?"

"An owl?"

"A toad?"

"Customized robes?"

"A fancy new quill set?"

"A gold cauldron?"

"How about..." Jessica began, causing her parents to look at her eagerly. "You two get my books and supplies while I look around for something I might like?"

Katherine and Ian glanced at one another before staring down at their daughter accusingly.

"You're making us do the dirty work," Katherine said with narrowed eyes.

"She tricked us," said Ian, feigning disappointment. Jessica could only shrug unashamedly because it was exactly what she was doing. Though she loved books and learning, she couldn't deny that it was always such a tedious task to gather her materials for the incoming school year.

"We did ask what she wants us to do, though..." Ian sighed, though he sounded amused at her antics. "You win."

"Let's meet up in front of Madam Malkin's at noon, okay?" Katherine gave in. "I think it's about time we get you new robes, anyway."

Jessica beamed triumphantly as her parents handed her a few Galleons and Sickles in case she wanted to buy something on her own. She hadn't even gone back to school yet and she was already experiencing the perks of being a prefect, such as getting extra money from her parents.

"Shall we start in Whizz Hard Books since her set of books are different this year?" Katherine asked Ian as they left to do as Jessica requested.

"Actually, can we go to Slug & Jiggers Apothecary first?" he replied. "I need to stock up on my Blood-Replenishing Potions."

"Or you can stop getting yourself injured in your missions."

The sound of her parents' bickering faded away as they blended into the crowd while Jessica, too, made her way elsewhere.

She began with Magical Menagerie, wanting to look at the various animals displayed there. It didn't smell pleasant at all and was crowded — not by witches and wizards, but by the countless creatures in the store. She ignored those when she spotted all the adorable animals scattered around: owls, cats, kneazles, pygmy puffs, rabbits, and nifflers. She badly wanted a niffler, but she knew those pesky creatures would steal everything shiny in sight and they weren't allowed in Hogwarts. She could also picture Bucky disapproving the presence of another pet inside the house, so she decided against the thought of getting it at all, moving onto the next shop.