Chapter 22: Conflict of Interest

A/N: HAPPY SEPTEMBER 1ST! 🥰

There was a certain tension in the air when the students returned to Hogwarts after the holidays. It seemed as though the gravity of the situation was hitting them again — that there was a monster on the loose, attacking innocent people within the walls of what should have been one of the safest places in the wizarding world.

Aside from that, a lot of people had spent their spare time speculating on the attacks and the victims. The theories and research spread throughout the castle in mere days since everyone's return from their Christmas break: they had concluded that all the students who had gotten petrified were muggle-borns. Although no one was sure why Mrs. Norris and Sir Nicholas also ended up petrified, there was no denying that there was a pattern when it came to the students.

Jessica also had other personal matters to worry about: her Career Advice meeting. She had an appointment with Professor McGonagall one evening, a little while after the term had begun. Like all other fifth years, she was required to have this career counseling so she could figure out what fields she was interested in and what subjects she needed to take in order to pursue them.

McGonagall greeted Jessica with a small smile when she entered her office. The woman always acted stern, but there were a few people (like the Gryffindors) who knew that she was a warm person deep inside who only wanted the best for her students.

"Well, Miss Hawthorne," she went straight to the point once Jessica had settled in her seat. "Needless to say, your grades are quite exceptional — mostly O's and E's in both core classes and electives. Is there any subject there that you are particularly fond of?"

"I do enjoy a few," she replied. "Uh, I think Charms and Ancient Runes are my favorites at the moment."

"Not Defense Against the Dark Arts?" McGonagall questioned curiously, seeing that it was one of Jessica's most consistent classes throughout the years.

Not anymore because of Professor Lockhart, was what Jessica wanted to say. She obviously couldn't tell that to another teacher, though.

"That, too, although I'm not as... interested in it this year."

"I see." The older woman had an inkling as to why she felt that way, but she decided not to question it and get on with the counseling. "Taking all that into account, have you thought about what you want to do after Hogwarts?"

While Jessica had always been on top of her game when it came to academics, she never really looked at her life after school

While Jessica had always been on top of her game when it came to academics, she never really looked at her life after school. All she ever focused on was being a plain old student without any passion or hobby on the side, except for Quidditch just recently. And although she enjoyed the sport, she couldn't see herself playing that professionally, either... so, her mind went blank.

"Not really," she admitted, a little embarrassed. She had always been such a prepared and adaptable student, and now she had no answer.

McGonagall paused, looking through the list of subjects and corresponding grades in the piece of parchment before her.