Chapter 21: Surprises

It was already the third week of December, and while it was usually a time for students and staff to be excited for Christmas, everyone was instead feeling extra wary because another victim had gotten petrified in the middle of the night. It was Colin Creevey, the first-year Gryffindor boy who always followed Harry Potter around and took pictures of him. He was found on the floor in a random hallway by some teachers, still holding his signature large, black camera in his petrified state.

Because of that incident, the students were more than willing to take part in the newly established Dueling Club. There was a piece of parchment with the announcement pinned up on the notice board in the entrance hall, catching the attention of almost every person who passed by it. Alista was the one who convinced Jessica and Bethany to join it with her. They agreed, also wanting to learn how to properly duel and possibly defend themselves from whatever was petrifying people left and right. Thus, the three of them found themselves in the Great Hall at 8 o'clock in the evening for the first meeting of the Dueling Club.

The hall was packed to the brim with students of all ages. All the house tables had been removed, instead replaced with a long, dark blue runway stage decorated with gold stars and moons at the center of the room. Jessica was standing in between Bethany and Alista, and even her roommates Kaitlin and Margaux were with them. She could see a lot of familiar faces from different houses and year levels, all of them looking excited. Oliver Wood was also present, speaking to Carson and Percy and some other boys from his year.

"I hope Lockhart's teaching us," Alista said giddily. While Jessica had to admit that she did once have a little crush on the handsome professor, it completely vanished after seeing what he did to poor Harry's arm. What kind of teacher could be so incompetent? Mistakes were normal, but when it came to something as serious as healing an injury, they couldn't afford to make mistakes like that.

"I don't," Jessica scoffed. "He removed the bones in Harry's arm, for Merlin's sake."

"I thought you liked Lockhart, too," Alista pouted.

"I did. Now, he's just... I don't know. Something's off about him."

"Maybe we'll have Flitwick, then?" Bethany guessed. "I heard he was a dueling champion back in his day."

"I hope so —"

"Gather 'round, gather 'round!" The one and only Professor Lockhart walked down the runway confidently, making Jessica have to suppress an annoyed groan. A hush fell across the room as the students moved closer to listen to what he had to say. "Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?"

When he was met with silence and eager eyes, he nodded in satisfaction.

"Excellent! In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions — for full details, see my published works." He untied his expensive-looking velvet cape and threw it into the crowd. A group of girls beside Jessica gasped and grabbed it excitedly, and she made a disgusted face when she realized that even Alista had tried reaching for the piece of clothing, too.

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape."

From the other end of the room, Snape came walking up the stage with his usual displeased expression, arms folded over his chest.

"He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry — you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear."

Lockhart winked at the students, causing Jessica to recoil. She couldn't believe she used to find him attractive. That all went down the drain after realizing that he wasn't as great of a wizard as she thought he was.