Chapter 31: Brand New

A/N: I'm pretty sure y'all know by now that Jessica's a muggle-born, but recently, some of my readers have been saying that she can actually be considered a half-blood 😅 A lot of online sources have mixed answers about the blood status of someone with two muggle-born parents since it's never really explained in canon, but for the sake of the plot, she'll just continue to be classified as muggle-born! I hope that doesn't bother any of y'all :')

Also, this hasn't been proofread (as usual), so please excuse any possible mistakes but feel free to correct me so I can fix them haha :> Hope you enjoy this chapter!

How are people supposed to act around someone with whom they share mutual, romantic feelings for? Jessica and Oliver were clueless about this, to say the least. It was all out in the open that they liked each other as more than friends, and they did kiss twice already, but they weren't sure what the next step was now that they got all that over with.

The days that followed their confession — if that was what you could even call it — were awkward, but in a very innocent, cute way. Oliver and Jessica both found themselves hovering around the other whenever they could, whether it was in the library, before and after classes, or in between Quidditch training breaks. Jessica didn't tell Bethany and Alista right away about this because she didn't quite know how to put it into words. As the days went by, though, she was quite taken aback that they didn't even notice any difference in hers and Oliver's relationship — perhaps it had to do with the fact that even when they were just friends, they already spent a lot of time together. And so, out of pure curiosity, she kept her mouth shut to see how long it would take for them to realize it.

Eventually, it was already the end of November, meaning that it marked at least two weeks of Jessica's best friends still being oblivious to her relationship with Oliver. By then, she was both highly entertained and starting to grow impatient with them. She brought all of this up to him as they relaxed at a deserted hallway one morning.

"I thought they'd figure it out quickly, but they still haven't," Jessica was saying. "But it's a bit fun to see how long this plays out — I can't wait to see their faces when I finally tell them everything. I don't think I'm quite ready for all their teasing just yet, though."

When she saw that Oliver looked troubled, she frowned.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I wanted to ask you out on a date — you know, on the Hogsmeade trip next weekend," Oliver started off.

"It's not like I'm going to say no."

"You better not, lass," Oliver threatened. "But the thing is, as much as I am also amused by Faye and Greene having no clue about us, it's just... how exactly can we go on a date, then? They'd find out right away if we went out together."

Jessica giggled at how worried Oliver was.

"Why are you laughing?" he demanded.

"You sound like it's the end of the world."

"Shouldn't you be flattered that I'm this concerned about our date?"

"I am, but it's still funny to see you so worried about something like this. It wasn't that long ago that you were drowning yourself in the showers after our match against Hufflepuff."

"Don't remind me about that awful day. You know, I'm still willing to take up your suggestion and try drowning in the Black Lake next time," Oliver said dramatically. "Still, I'm surprised that you aren't worried seeing as you're the one who's hiding all this from your friends — that is, unless you have a solution in mind."

Jessica wracked her brain for a way to solve their little dilemma. After a couple of seconds, her face lit up.

"I can just tell them that some of us from the Quidditch team are hanging out," she said. "See? Problem solved."