Chapter 1: Quidditch Confrontations ✔️

NOTE: As mentioned earlier, the OC has two muggle-born parents. The blood status of a person with this type of family is not explained in canon, so I have decided to keep the OC as muggle-born. I am aware that there are varied takes on this matter (i.e., they can be considered half-blood) and this is a minor oversight on my part, but please do understand that I started this book in 2015 and it is now complete, so I will not be changing this anymore. Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading! :)

EDITED 7/10/21

The sun was shining down on the Black Lake, the light reflecting off of the still water and making it look like it was glowing. The birds that soared past the windows of the castle chirped heartily, even when they swooped down to fly just above the Forbidden Forest. Students of all ages and houses chatted with one another as they walked down the corridors on their way to classes or their breaks. In essence, it was a typical, beautiful day at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and Jessica Hawthorne was one of its admirers that breezy afternoon of October 1991.

But the fourth year Gryffindor must have spoken too soon, because the peace she had been relishing in was broken not long after when a high-pitched scream caught her off guard.

"Jess!"

The familiar voice from behind Jessica caused her to halt abruptly in the middle of the hall. Suddenly, somebody rammed into her side, making her stumble and drop her book in the process.

"Hey!" she exclaimed.

"Sorry," the culprit said in a rush, not bothering to look back at her before he took off running to wherever. His scarlet training robes and broom in hand were enough to reveal that it was Oliver Wood, a boy from her house in the year above.

"What a gentleman," Jessica grumbled sarcastically, picking up her things.

"Oliver Wood may be cute, but I swear, there's probably nothing else in his head except for Quidditch," said a female voice that was now in front of her. Jessica sighed and looked up to find her blonde friend that had just spoken.

"Still, Alista. The least he could've done was sound genuine and help me out. Anyway, why did you yell for me in the first place?"

"Oh, right!" Alista clapped her hands excitedly. "I finally talked to Roger Davies."

"The Ravenclaw?"

"Yeah!"

Jessica fought back an amused smile. Alista had always been such a social butterfly — or, if she wanted to be more realistic with her description, a flirt. But she had always done it in good taste and without any bad intentions, so all Jessica could do was support her escapades and indulge her stories.

"Haven't you two already talked before? I mean, you have classes together, don't you?"

"But this was a real conversation, Jess," Alista stressed. "I'll tell you everything later with Beth so I don't have to repeat what happened."

"Weren't you just with Beth earlier?" Jessica raised her eyebrows. She was sure that the third piece to their puzzle of a friendship, Bethany, had already been with Alista almost the entire day because of the classes they shared together.

"She left me for Tyler Roden."

"That's because they have a project to work on together."

"Yeah, but the boy gave me a disgusted look."

"No offense, but you are a Slytherin," Jessica said slowly. "It's kind of the norm that Slytherins and Gryffindors don't mix. I suppose we're one of the few exceptions."