Chapter 2: Wood

"Beth, Beth, Beth!"

It wasn't hard for Jessica to spot one of her best friends. Bethany Faye was a fiery redhead, one who was difficult to miss. She was on her way to the Great Hall, just reaching the bottom of the steps when she had heard her name being called. She spun around, acknowledging Jessica as the girl continued to repeatedly call her out in a panic, much to the former's confusion.

"Jess," Bethany said slowly. "What's gotten into you?"

"This." Jessica held out the Slytherin scarf from Alista, showing it to Bethany as if it explained everything.

"What? I don't get it."

"Oliver Wood caught me sitting in the bleachers before his practice."

Bethany looked even more confused and said, "So? You watch the team practice with some of our house mates sometimes, too. What's the problem if you were alone?"

"He thought I was a Slytherin."

"Why would he — oh."

"Yeah, oh. And you know whose fault this is? Alista's."

"I heard my name!" someone sing-songed from behind the two Gryffindor girls. Jessica fumed, turning around to come face to face with the third member of their trio. "What's happening, my lovelies?"

"Guess who thought I was a Slytherin spy?"

Alista frowned. "Salazar said what?"

Jessica, who rarely ever got angry, sighed in frustration. "Look, I obviously have nothing against Slytherins, but some people still do. I was wearing this when I was at the pitch earlier. I didn't realize the Gryffindor Team had practice and that Wood would be there early."

"I'm not following. How does my scarf does even connect to —"

"Basically," Bethany interrupted. "Jessica was wearing your Slytherin scarf when Oliver Wood spotted her right before training. He automatically assumed she's a Slytherin spy because, as you know, your house is good at stealing the Quidditch Pitch every single day to make sure they win the cup again."

Ignoring that backhanded insult, Alista asked, "But doesn't he know who you are, anyway?"

"You know how daft that Quidditch-obsessed boy can be," Jessica mumbled. Sure, she loved Quidditch, but Oliver Wood was on a whole other level when it came to obsessing over a sport. "He didn't realize it until he looked at my face because apparently, he only noticed the silver and green colors I was wearing."

"Sorry, Jess," Alista said sheepishly. "I didn't think that would happen."

"I know," sighed Jessica. "It's not your fault."

"Did he apologize, though?" Bethany inquired. Jessica shook her head at that.

"I left before he could, but I doubt he would. I think the boy's got too much pride to do that."

"Knowing you, you probably ran out of there," Bethany said thoughtfully.

"I didn't run —"

"You are the type of person who doesn't like fights and confrontations," Alista added.

"Hey!" Jessica said defensively. Bethany patted her friend's shoulder.

"It's true, Jess," she said simply. "It's not really a bad thing, so don't get your wand in a knot."

"Yeah, don't worry, Jess. On the bright side, you're also only Gryffindor I know whose bravery isn't stupid."

It was Bethany's turn to exclaim, "Hey! Are you saying I'm stupidly brave?"