Chapter 25.

After about half an hour, I stayed down stairs with Uncle David. We both heard Avery's feet shuffling upstairs, neither one said anything about her. I was tempted to excuse myself and go upstairs, to see her, but I didn't. After kissing her in front of Uncle David like that, I was a little bit embarrassed. Not because she's Avery, not because she's younger than me or a foster kid. I was mostly embarrassed because he practically pushed me away from me, meaning I was just there stuck with her. I was planning on talking to her, I wasn't going to ignore her. I just didn't know how I should approach her. Last time I did, I was pretty much having a make out session with her in front of her new foster Dad.

Uncle David and I sat on the couch. He was waiting for Aunt Julie to get home with the food, and I was just waiting for a surge of courage. Uncle David was watching some show, I wasn't even sure what show it was. I was between glancing from the TV, to upstairs, and to Uncle David to see if he was noticing my strange act.

"Just let her settle in," Uncle David said, his eyes were still glued on to the TV.

I sat all the way back in the couch, and tried to see if the couch could just sink me in. Uncle David was a man with a lot of words. He was a good guy, he was a great parent, but he tough. I know he's not afraid to say what' son his mind, if it's the right thing to say at least.

"I am," I said almost above a whisper. I know I was lying, I was letting her settle in on her own, but I didn't want her to. I wanted to go upstairs and talk, and tell her how hard it was being without her. If I thought just texting her was rough, I was wrong. I would rather go back to those days, than not seeing her every single day. I sighed, probably a little too loud.

"I know why you're hooked on her," Uncle David said. This time, he pulled his gaze away from the TV. He looked over at me for a second, before turning back to the glowing box.

"What do you mean?" I asked him. My gaze was fixed on him, trying to read his expression. There was literally no expression on his face.

"She's a beautiful girl, she's a sweetheart. We just met her, and the kids already love her. Julie already loves her," Uncle David turned to look at me, this time concern was written on his features. "Look, that girl just went from house to house three times in less than a month. She needs time to just settle in, this isn't easy on her. Just give her tonight at least, and tomorrow morning you can go and talk to her."

Uncle David turned back to the TV, as his words started to sink in. He was right, she has moved three times already. She moved form her original foster home, to another, to here. I guess I never thought how stressful that must of been. Was I being selfish? For asking Uncle David to bring her in?

"Uncle David," I said. I looked at him, and waited for his eyes to turn from the TV to me. They didn't, he just lifted his chin a little as if telling me he was listening. "Was me asking you to bring her desperate of me? Or maybe just selfish?"

Uncle David turned to look at me, this time a very serious expression on his face. "Do you care about this girl? Care for her like, you're not going to date her for a week and leave her?"

"I love her," I automatically said. I didn't even fully process the words before they came out, but I knew they were true.

I watched as Uncle David's expression changed, he looked shocked. Slowly, his expression eased like he understood what I was going through. He slowly nodded, and a small spread on his lips. "Well, in that case I personally don't think it was selfish. I don't think it was desperate... well, maybe just a little desperate," Uncle David joked, I couldn't help but laugh. "Love just makes you do crazy things, doesn't it?"

Before I could answer the front door opened, and the kids came running in. Aunt Julie came behind them. She held three boxes of pizza, and Uncle David quickly went to go help her. I followed them to the dinning room, which was connected with the kitchen. The kids were already sitting on the table, ready to eat.