Chapter 64

Even from a distance, I could tell something wasn't sitting right with a certain blonde.

Since the masquerade ball, she kept herself isolated from the world.

No text messages between the girls or me, stayed at home when we asked her to join us after school, spacing out in class.

The amount of times she had come close or had tripped and hit her head were too many to count on my fingers alone.

"It's probably because she's tired. You worry too much Calem."

As I stashed my books inside my locker, from the corner of my eye I noticed Serena spacing out more than usual. Her eyes knitted close together with her constantly biting her lip.

"Stop that. You will make your lips look ugly when you pick or even bite on them."

"I can't help it sometimes!"

Closing and locking, I made my way towards her before she could trip over a trash can. My hands gently holding her wrist as I pull her away from danger.

I heard her gasp a soft, "Calem . ." other than that she remained silent when she noted that I was taking her to the old music room.

I glanced left and right to make sure nobody was seeing us or following us.

Nothing.

Knocking once, twice, no answer was heard from the room so I entered right in with Serena hot on my trail.

"Is everything okay? It's been a week and yet you look so . . ."

Her once knitted eyes rose at my concern. A light noticeable blush formed on her cheeks and I couldn't help but to smile even in a situation like this.

"Ah, I must be coming down with something." Scratching the back of her head, She forced a laugh but I knew it was all a facade, yet another mask.

"Serena."

I know my change of tone would scare her but having her change her personality completely scared me. Worried me mercilessly.

Swallowing back the thorny wire harshly wrapping itself around my neck, I spoke up again. "Did something happen the other day? At the masquerade?"

My jaw clenched as I awaited for her response. The change in her facial expression had given her away with ease.

Though, as it happens, she remained quiet. Biting back her words by sucking in a breath and having her bottom lip between her teeth.

'Guess it's out.'

"If there's anything I could do to ma-"

"He was showing such a anger. Saying such cruel things and close to the point of thrashing anything in his path."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion at her sudden words of confession.

"I understand that he is always so distant and mean sometimes but . . it was like it had been pent up for days, months, weeks. God even years with the way the blood vessels in his eyes were to pop."

"Ash?"

Her bottom lip sprouted out as she looked down at the floor. Having fessed up what was going through her head.

"What was he saying?"

I knew if I were to hear his words coming from her mouth, I wouldn't be so tempted to rush over and pulp him. I would much rather stay by her side and aid to her need of comfort.

". . . Something about not knowing what's going on in secret. He kept calling someone a hypocrite, a fool, a liar . . I honestly didn't know who he was referring to."

'Me . . I am the fool.'

Coming back to reality when I heard the girl I dearly love gasp, My eyes went straight towards her when she covers her eyes in realization and concern.

"'He lies to someone who lost her memory. He leads her on. Only to have someone like you cover for him.'"

She was quoting what he had told her in the midst of his rage.

He still believes I am lying for the sake of me. He still believes that I am lying just because I am selfish.

He isn't mad at the fact I pulled that stunt at the ball. He was mad because he thought I was just playing with her.

My head spun in a circle with my own awareness of what this meant.

'I need to say everything now.'

♡♡♡
Shorter than I expected but just building up anticipation!

♡♡♡Shorter than I expected but just building up anticipation!