Chapter 2

I wake with a jolt in my old twin bed, the pink sheets damp with sweat. I haven't had a nightmare about the accident in the past two years. Not since I recovered. 

It was months of recovery; a broken hip will do that. But it could have been worse. Will had it worse.

I make my way down the stairs as quietly as I can, its five am and I know better than to think my parents will be awake anytime soon. I'm sitting on the floor in the front entry tying on my sneakers when Hank comes downstairs. 

"Running?"

"Yeah," I answer standing up.

"Mind if I join you?" He asks holding up his sneakers.

"Not at all," I say though internally I scream; everything is too close to the surface after my dream.

After seeing the headlights coming straight at us, of swerving off the road and into the ditch. Of Will grabbing my and pulling me out of the way, shielding me with his back and arms as the tree fell on us.

A shiver runs down my spine, but I hide it as Hank bends over to tie his shoes.

"Ready?" he whispers.

"See if you can keep up to this old cripple."

He chuckles and follows me out into the crisp morning air. Despite how warm the afternoons get, you can still feel that it's spring in the morning. Dew covers the grass and dampens my feet as I cut across the lawn to the road and begin a fast-paced walk.

"I'm surprised you still get up this early," I admit to him as he keeps pace.

"Yeah, some habits are hard to break I guess, plus Amy is also a runner and hates the heat."

"Ah," I say, Amy. The girlfriend I have yet to meet.

"She was going to come yesterday but wanted to give us some time."

He finishes awkwardly and starts into a jog.

I join him and add. "I'm looking forward to meeting her."

"Don't need to be so formal about it." He chuckles.

The sound is so familiar I snort. "What do you want me to say? Hey bro, good to see you. Can't wait to meet your main bitch. Also hope you've forgiven me for nearly killing your best friend that one time."

"Whoa, hold up. Hannah!"

"Keep up," I say still jogging.

He races after me and is very obviously out of shape no matter how much Amy likes to run. You wouldn't know it by his still thin frame, but my brother always appeared skinny. Even after eating a family size bag of Doritos.

"Hannah, I never blamed you for the accident."

It's my turn to laugh.

"Okay, I did at first. You don't understand, Will was really messed up at the time."

"You don't think I know that." I stop dead and he stumbles. "why do you think he called me to pick him up. Because he lost your number?"

"I-"

"No, Hank, he was always my friend too until you forbade it. Will needed to talk to a girl and as you frequently forget, I am one."

"I know you're a girl and I know that's why he wanted to talk" He emphasizes talk.

I snort. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"You know how many other girls he called that night, Hannah?"