Chapter 16

Welcome back! 

So I'm posting much later than I planned but of well. Hope you enjoy it!

***

I sat outside long after the sunset until the rest of the family joined me. And I realized that was what we all are, family. Will had always been a part, so much so that I found myself envious of his and Hanks friendship, of how close he is with my mom. But now Amy was going to be a part of it too.

Amy who was a nervous babbler and had talked my ear off wanted me to be her maid of honor.

I was honored, truly. I was also nervous. As we all filtered into the house I pull her aside and whisper.

"Amy are you sure you want me to be your maid of honor? What if I'm not in Ottawa."

"Hannah, you're building a house with wheels right?"

"Yep." I answer.

"You plan on being able to drive it around."

"Yep."

"Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to be in Ottawa for the wedding?" She asks.

"No but,"

"But what?"

"But what about all that other bride shit that people want to do?"

"Your mom is super eager to plan. In fact, I'm choosing you to help manage her expectations." Amy whispers. 

"You should have chosen Will." I argue.

She laughs, "Look Hannah, I want this to be a small family wedding, I don't have any parents, and the closest thing I have to a sister is in Toronto still."

"Have you told her?" I ask looking at the ring.

"She works in the ER tonight, so not yet. But I will first thing in the morning."

"Will she be a bridesmaid?" I ask.

"Yes, but I still want you to be my maid of honor," She laughs, "don't go trying to get a demotion on me."

I sigh, "okay, I'll be in Ottawa for the wedding."

"We'll let you know once we set a date."

"Pick something good like the thirteenth, or December twenty-fifth."

Amy laughs, "No."

She pats my shoulder and walks in the house.

Will steps out, "Come on, let's leave your parents alone for a bit."

I look over and see dad holding mom in a tight embrace rocking her gently. I smile, grateful, not for the first time that she married Evan when I was six.

My birth father died in the navy when I was two. I don't remember him at all but Hank does. Little flashes, small details. I think the love we feel for Evan caused him some guilt, I still think thats why he joined the navy, more than a sense of duty.

I let Will put me in his truck and drive me up into the hills.

We drive in comfortable silence listening to the wind in the large willow trees along the old road. At some point he reaches over and holds my hand, pressing his lips to my knuckles.

Maybe it's the champagne but I feel a wave of goosebumps erupt down my arm and tingling. Its more than the feeling of being touched. So much more. Its the feeling of being seen, being seen and accepted.