Chapter 15

Author note: 

Hi all, 

It's been a tough week and I'm on the job hunt again. Can I be an author full-time one day? Please? Anyways this is one of my favourite chapters. Hope you enjoy!

When we get in the door I immediately know what's happening and have the urge to run. To run fast and hard and far. I never asked to be present for this moment. I never wanted to be a witness. And yet, when we enter my parents humble home, I see the rose petals on the ground and cringe. Will in a tux lets out a chuckle.

"Come stand by me, Hannah." He murmurs.

I numbly nod and move out of the way.

My mom comes in from the garage and squeals in excitement.

"She's coming through the front door!" Mom drops her bags and runs over next to dad who has his cell-phone up landscape to film the ordeal.

"He's not going to faint is he?" I whisper to Will.

Hank wipes the sweat from his brow and sends me a glare.

"You try proposing." He says.

Will chuckles as I go stiff as a rod.

Oh god. Marriage.

Mom is bouncing in place as the door opens. Amy like always is chattering away. "Maggie, I think I left my wallet in the car, oh." She drops the bags of home goods at her feet.

I think of the mirror she bought and cringe as she brings her hands to her face and cries.

"Amy," Hank says stepping forward pulling her past the entryway. He kisses her hands and settles down on one knee. "Amy, I love you, but more than that I respect the hell out of you. You are one of the smartest people I've ever met, you are unfailingly kind, and friendly. I love the way you babble when you're nervous and when you blush when you're shy."

I look over to my mother who has tears rolling down her face and my dad who's hand wobbles on the camera.

Will squeezes my hand and smiles at me and despite my reservations, I smile back.

"Amy I love the way you love me, from your never ending support, to your gentle teasing, to your stern talks keeping me in check. I love that you made me move home, to be with family and I'm so sorry that I couldn't have met more of yours. If he was alive I'd have asked for his permission, but I hope that your parents will give you their blessing all the same. I want you to become my family. I want you to be mine, and I want to be yours. Will you marry me?"

Amy's face is damp as she settles onto her knees in front of my brother, she wraps her arms around his neck nodding. "Yes." She sniffles as she holds his face and gently kisses him.

"I love you so much Hank," She says softly.

I watch as my brother cries opening the ring box. Amy breaks into tears.

"Is that,"

"It's your grandmothers ring. Carl gave it to me before he past." Hank says wiping his eyes.

He slides the beautiful antique ring onto her finger as she sobs.

"When?" she asks holding her hand to her chest.

"When we went to visit him the last time in the hospital. I'm sorry I didn't ask him then I was so stunned Amy, we'd just met."

"He knew, he knew you were it for me." She sniffles and wraps her arms back around my brother holding him close. "I'm so glad you got to meet him."