Chapter 18

Authors Note:

Update 2/2! 

I'm on a roll this morning! Couldn't stop after just one!

***

I meet Hank at his apartment and get a wave from Amy as we run out the door. This has become our Wednesday morning routine over the past few weeks. I wake up and half asleep throw on my running clothes before hopping in my truck and making my way to Hank's place. His apartment backs onto the parkway and has beautiful running trails.

This morning we run nearly eight kilometers. But with the cool breeze off the water and the light morning sun we do it with ease. As we return, as has become part of the routine. Amy makes us a massive breakfast. And I stay and enjoy it with them. Not just woof it down and leave, I genuinely enjoy it. I'm as shocked as you are.

As I walk into their tiny one bedroom filled to the brim with the decor my mother and Amy shopped for together, I immediately walk into the tiny kitchen.

"What's for breakfast today Chef?"

Amy smiles at the joke as she has since we began the tradition.

"Eggs."

"Ah as per usual. You must know it's my favorite."

"Or it's the only thing she an cook." Hank says with a laugh.

He circles his arms around her and gives her a kiss as I seat myself at their table.

"I'm busy being impressive in all the other ways baby." She answers and kisses him back.

Hank grabs my plate and brings it to me. As Amy serves herself and grabs the ketchup from the fridge. For a moment we eat in silence, shoving food in our faces. Or maybe that's just how I'm eating.

"So we set a date!" Amy announces.

"When!?"

"September third twenty-twenty-one." She smiles wide and Hank clutches her hand.

"That's perfect timing! That gives me about a year."

"A year for what?" Hank asks confused.

"A year to travel." I answer plainly, clearing away my plate.

"You're still leaving?" He asks.

"Honey," Amy squeezes his palm, "Hannah has been planning this trip for a long time."

"Yeah, and the house should be done end of august. That gives me a year to get to BC enjoy it and drive it back."

"Alone." Hank says.

"That's the plan."

I rinse my plate avoiding looking at him.

"What about Will?" He asks.

"What about him?"

"Well is he aware that you're planning on running away again?"

"I'm not running anywhere. He knows my plans Hank."

"So what. This is some cheap hook up to you?"

"Hank." Amy intervenes. "It's none of your business."

"Like hell, he's my best friend. You saw how devastated he was."

"How devastated he was." I drop the plate in the sink and turn off the water. "He was. Can you for one second remember that I'm your sister. That I was devastated too."

"You ran."

"He didn't chase me." I argue back.

"He had a broken back he couldn't run anywhere."