The Puja

PRESENT

The sound of ear-piercing alarm woke me up. I didn't even remember when I fall asleep. I look at my surroundings and reality hits me. I am on the couch. The room is decorated with flowers...Oh! Yes! My first night...as I recollected automatic my head turns to the bed. She is not there, my eyes automatically scanned the entire room. I couldn't find her trace. I see the time its 9 am. I rushed to the bathroom to get ready. Its 9.40 am and I am ready. I so wanted to see her face in the morning. Suddenly, Khushi came into the room.

"Thank God, you got ready. I forgot to wake you up. Neera Aunty could have killed me."

"Where is Isha?" I asked.

"She is downstairs in the hall. You both have to sit in puja. She didn't wake you up." She said with a hint of a question in her tone.

My face lost its colour. As our eyes met she understood. She took a deep breath and said

"So things didn't go well. Has she said something to you last night? Did you talk? Where did you sleep? "She bombed her questions.

"Khushi, she hates me. " I managed to say only this much. Something strangled my voice as I remembered our conversation of last night and her allegations.

She embraced me immediately as she sensed my emotions from my voice. A single drop of tear rolled down from my eyes. I wiped it off before she could see and broke the hug.

"Everything will be fine Ved give it some time. I know she can't hate you. Right now she is angry with everyone and especially on you. Things will be fine soon I promise." She smiled at me.

"Well, my brother looks handsome in traditional clothing. Did I tell you that?" she giggled and I smiled. I know she tried to change the topic and I supported.

"Now let's go, we are late for puja." She dragged me with her.

As we reach the living area there I saw her as the epitome of beauty. She was looking so beautiful in her yellow saree, red bangles, semi-wet and open hair with minimal makeup talking with her mother. I lost in her beauty.

"Ved..." I came in my senses as Neera aunty called me.

She looked at me our eyes met my heart sank in guilt. She looked at me with hate in her eyes. Her eyes were throwing daggers at me. As an old habit, I lowered my eyes and smiled at aunty. I questioned myself will I ever be able to make eye contact with her?

"Ved beta come, sit here with Ishu. Pandit Ji will start the puja." Aunty said to me.

I followed auntie's order and sat near to her. The Puja started, we were performing rituals. And there are rituals in which we have to keep our hands in each other. And every time I felt her flinching from my touch. It was something never happened in 15 years. I wonder Is this the same girl? who used to cry over my shoulders entire night when she got upset. And now my simple touch is making her uncomfortable. The Puja finished and we took blessings from elders. Till now, we didn't share a word. Since, when she became so robotic and silent. Sooner people left, only a few of us remained in the home. We had our lunch together.

"Ved, do you have to go to Mumbai today only? Can't you stay longer? You guys are not going for the honeymoon also. " aunty complained to me.

"Aunty, I have to go. There are so many pending works in the office. I came in a hurry, so didn't even get time to hand over my work to someone else or close the work." I said apologetically.

"You should have not come that would be better, at least I would be free. " Isha said with hatred and left the room.

I startled by her words. The entire time she was silent and opened her mouth to say this to me.

Aunty was shocked at her statement. "Ishu..." before aunty could say anything she was already out of our sight. Khushi followed her in the room.

"Ved... Why is she so stubborn? Why is she not understanding I can not see her like that? She is killing a part of herself daily. I know this marriage is a burden which I selfishly put on your shoulders. As a mother, I can't see my child lifeless. Why can't she forget Siddarth? It's been five years Ved. Your uncle also left this world and me behind." aunty brokedown.

"Aunty, Please stop crying. You know I don't like tears. I am like your son. You practically raised me after mom. You are like my second mother. And I will take care of Isha. You know that she can not be mad at me for a long time. I am there for you if the uncle is not there. Don't feel alone ever. Why don't you come with us to Mumbai? You can live with us. You won't feel alone also. " I consoled her.

"No dear, I am ok here. Your uncle's memories are in this house. And I am not alone. I have to take care of the NGO as well. I have many friends and you and Ishu should spend some time alone. " she tapped my cheeks with affection.

ISHA'S ROOM (ISHA POV)

"What was that?" Khushi shouted at me.

"Khushi, don't start. You know very well what was it. I hate him. I am not telling you anything because I stopped expecting from you also. At least you could have stopped this shit. But I know, after all, you are his sister, and you will take his side only. I lost my best friends I accept that. But as a girl, I was hoping you will understand it. You also love Yash. But I was wrong. " I answered back.

" I am still your best friend and that is why I know what is good for you. I will support where I can see you will be happy.

So, blame whatever you want. I know I am right. I don't need to explain myself. And Ved is a good human being and you know that already. I don't want you to spend your entire life like a corpse over a dead boyfriend. Grow up, Trisha Roy. You don't even know anything and accusing Ved. " she said and left the room.

I feel numb. How could she say like this about Sid? Tears started flowing from my eyes which I was holding up since morning. I sank in my bed and let the tear flow. I lost my love, my father and two of best friends of childhood. I hate them all and what she meant by I don't know anything? I know everything to have my view towards her or Ved. I don't need any other input.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you guys, for reading and loving this story so far.

Belated eid Mubarak...

I would love to have your inputs as well..

To the silent readers please vote and comment, as this is my first book it will motivate me to write more. 

Share this with your friends and family..

Happy reading, Stay safe. :)