Chapter 9

Chapter 9

●●●

The next day went by with surprisingly few complications. Jungkook slept through most of it, still cuddled up to Taehyung, and when he did wake up he sent both Jimin and Taehyung away to do 'things'. They were in the middle of making dinner when Jimin broke the comfortable silence that had fallen over them.

"Our boy is growing up, it seems." Jungkook was quite the late bloomer. So much was clear, but honestly, Taehyung hadn't really thought about the whole growing up thing recently. It had just somewhat gone over his head.

Yeah of course, he had grown.

But he'd never really thought about the fact that Jungkook was actually getting older and more mature too, not just bigger and more muscular.

Maybe people had been turning for Jungkook too. The thought left a bitter taste on Taehyung's tongue. There was no way Jungkook would ever care more about someone else than he did about the two of them... was there?

Taehyung was certain that he himself never could. When he'd declared Jungkook and Jimin to be his world, both when he was young and even now, he'd meant it with his entire being. He'd tried dating before, but these two just always came first, something none of his dates had been able to stomach.

Guys didn't exactly like the idea that not one but two other alphas had the right to scent him, hug him, cuddle him, so they broke it off before it even started. Not that Taehyung was bothered by it. Jungkook and Jimin were all he ever needed to be happy.

"I don't think he'll ever stop being my baby though... I hope so at least." He muttered, wiping the kitchen counters since they didn't need them anymore.

"Yeah." Jimin said absentmindedly. Taehyung glanced at him and just when Jimin looked like he was about to say something else the door was pushed open and Jungkook entered the room, looking sweaty and tired, so probably just the way he felt. He made his way over to Jimin and dropped his head on his shoulder.

"Why do you both smell so awkward?"

Taehyung raised an eyebrow. "Awkward?"

"Yeah, awkward." Jungkook nosed at Jimin's neck, scrunching up his nose. "Nevermind. It's just Jimin. You reek."

A bit confused Jimin raised his arm and smelled his armpit. "I reek?"

"Yeah... you smell different from usual... I don't know. Like you, but it's way too intense." Apparently appalled by Jimin's smell, Jungkook moved away, wrapping his arms around Taehyung and burying his face in the crook of his neck instead.

It took Taehyung a couple of seconds to connect the dots, but when he did it made sense. Even given how close they were, Jungkook still was in rut and was supposed to dislike alphas in his territory... even ones like Jimin. "Could it be that it's because of the rut?"

There was a short silence before Jungkook muttered a soft. "Maybe..." against Taehyung's shoulder, still hiding away.

For a few seconds Jimin hesitated, but then he nodded. "I'll go take a shower. Just start eating without me." And then he was gone and suddenly he was alone with Jungkook in the quiet kitchen.

As if a switch had been turned Taehyung was suddenly a lot more aware of just how close Jungkook was to him. Jungkook's scent all around him. Intense and woody. His breath on Taehyung's neck. The hands that were loosely wrapped around his waist, in a way they had been hundreds of times before, but it felt just a bit different from usual. Probably because of how heavy Jungkook's pheromones hung in the air.