Chapter 17 : The Prisoners

(Y/N)'S POV

"Hey! Guard! How long have I been here?" I waited quietly for a respond to my question, but was only greeted by silence. Groaning, I walk away from the door to go sit down in the corner of the cold cell.

A small sound from the other side of the wall drew my attention. "Hello?" I call, standing up. "Is someone there?"

"Y-yeah." Said a soft voice. The voice sounded male. There was a silence before they spoke again. "That was pretty brave."

"What was brave?" I asked back.

They waited a bit again before responding. "Asking the guard. You didn't seem afraid at all. How?"

I sigh, before sitting back down in the corner. I bring my legs up resting my arms on them. "I wasn't this brave last time. But being here again. I guess I'm just fed up with it."

"You've been a prisoner before?" A deeper voice spoke.

"That means you escaped!" Said the first voice. "How?"

I smirk remembering how Matt and the other rebels freed me. But it turns into a frown. I haven't seen Matt in ages. "I was freed by some rebels. Then I joined them."

I could hear movement in the cell next to me before the first voice spoke again. "So that mean that they will come save you right? And then you can save us!" They said excitedly.

I close my eyes. "I guess maybe. But I don't think they know were I am."

"Oh..." The voice sounds sad. Everything goes quiet and I begin to think they won't talk again. "I'm Roben."

I open my eyes, looking over toward him, even though I can't see him. "And the guy with me is Hexon. He's been in here a lot longer then I have."

I smile. "I'm (Y/n)."

"It's good to meet you (Y/n)." Roben responds.

KEITH'S POV

It's been to long. We should have found (Y/n) and Shiro by now. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. I have to believe that they are alive.

Right now, I sit in the black lion. The team wants to see if there is a chance that I could become the new black Paladin. But I don't want to be. This is Shiro's lion. Not mine. Shiro's. I should be out, looking for (Y/n). Not in here doing this stupid test.

As I grin the controllers, the dashboard began to light up around me. Glowing a light purple. Nonono. I complain silently. "Please...no..." The black lion begins to stand and roar, echoing through the hanger. No... this is all to much. This is Shiro lion. I shouldn't be leader. I should be looking for (Y/n)! I squeeze my eyes shut as I feel a tear escape down my face. Quickly wiping it away I stand up.

I sigh and walk out of the lion, back to the rest of the group. "I'm proud of you Keith." Allura states, "I wish you were getting the job under better circumstances. But congratulations."

The rest of the team began to congratulate me, though I wasn't so happy about it. "No. I don't accept this." I say. The rest of the team gasp surprised.

"You must, the black lion has chosen you." Allura argues.

"I can't replace Shiro!" I cry. "You guys were right. I'm the loner. I'm not the leader Shiro thought I was." I look down as a hand lands on my shoulder.

In front of me stands Lance. "Keith. No one can replace Shiro. But the black lion wouldn't choose anybody it didn't feel was worthy to lead Voltron. I respect its choice." He says. "And you should too."