Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

*Chapter inspired by the song Fingers by Lil Peep. Story idea from someone I read when I was younger to my siblings. *

((I'll be the first there. I'll be the last there. I'm not gonna last here. I'm not gonna last long.))

I woke up to stiff muslces and the deep sounds of my adult brother snoring in the bed across from mine. I grumble quietly and look at the clock. It's 7 o'clock. Better take my shower now before HE wakes up with a massivr hangover and decided to take his rage out on me again instead of the 24-pack he bought last night that is almost gone. I plug my nose and dive across the hall quickly and take a fast shower.

I get out and quickly wrap up in a towel and sprint into our shared room before locking the door and going staight to my dresser without seeing if Jamie is awake. I slip on underware and put a bra on over my towel before slidding it out from under the fabric and quickly put on a huge t-shirt and sweatpants before turning around to look at my brother's bed. He was already sitting up and looking at me.

"'Mornin Jessi," he says as he looks me over in a way that most brothers don't look at their little sisters before dragging his hand down his face and going back up to mess up his already messy bed-head. "I don't think I've ever seen a girl get dressed so fast without showing any of her 'areas'," he says as he puts his fingers up to signal quotes around 'areas'. I shurg and brush out my hair before quickly throwing it into a ponytail and putting on my huge glasses. I look at Jamie and he shrugs before kissing my forehead and taking his sweet time in the shower, he has been doing that since he became big enough to take down our dad at 15. Jamie is an extreme weight lifter and has been boxing at the pit since he could throw a punch with force.

I hear HIM wake up and become frozen in place. Jamie is still in the bathroom and HE will be upset if he can't go to the bathroom as soon as he gets up and can walk there and it will result in him and Jamie throwing fists. I really wanted to avoid this today, frickin Jamie and his cocky attitude. I quickly hide in the closet and become a small, still ball on the floor as I hear him get off the couch and walk down the hallway. I hold my breath as I hear him cough and try reach outside the bathroom at the same time as Jamie opening the door. I hear HIM grumble something to Jamie before the bathroom door closes and Jamie comes in the room. I hear the door lock and wait to hear Jamie's voice before I come out, just in case. I hear Jamie whistle and I know it is him because HE can't whistle. I crawl out of the closet and sit on Jamie's bed as he gets dressed.

"Were you just hidding in the closet again?" Jamie asks me while turning back to look at me the same time he puts a shirt on. The scars from our dad beating him before he could fight back show all over his chest and back. I can remember most of the causes, a few bringing him closer to dying than I would have liked. He looks at me expectently and I almost forgot he asked me a question. I shrug and nod and he scoffs.

"You should know by now that I can kick his a- butt and that you shouldn't be afraid," he says while looking at me with sad eyes. I went mute after dad raped me the first time at 8. I haven't talked since, and Jamie blames himself for only being 12 and not strong enough to fight him off until three years of his abuse towards me including sexual pleasure and I would try to tell him it's not his fault, but I can't talk and he doesn't really take anything I write down seriously.

"You ready to start your Sophomore year? You know, even though I hate the idea, but now that you're on your second year of highschool and I have to work more hours to get us out of here, maybe you could ask Colby or Tyler to take you home after school. That way you don't have to walk all the way across town to get home," he smiles lightly before going over to our small bookshelf and grabbing the book he had been reading the past few days and sitting next to me. Colby and Tyler were Jamie's best friends and Seniors this year. I shrug as he looked at me for an answer. If they didn't mind going out of their way ot give me a ride every now and then, then I wouldn't mind. I also don't really mind walking though. It's only two miles and I could use the time alone.

I've had a crush on Tyler since before I can even remember. Him and Jamie have been best friends since early grade school, and Jamie is only two years older than him, making Tyler only two years older than me. Jamie looks at me one last time before starting to read his book and putting his legs on mine. I look at the wall and got up, carefully putting Jamie's legs back on the bed and grabbing my own book off the shelf. I've read this series more times than I can count. I put on Lil Peep and turned it up a little before making sure the door was locked to our room and getting comfortable on my bed with the stack of the three big books next to me. Fingers came on and I started drumming to the tune lightly on my leg. Jamie took notice and turned it up more. I smiled lightly at him before going back to drumming on my leg and nodding my head. Suddenly there was a loud bang and I flinched before running into the closet to hide again. Jamie peeked in at me before putting a finger to his lips and walking out into the hallway. I stayed tiny and quiet. I listened.

The house seemed so quiet that the creak from Jamie's feet on the floors sounded like bombs and my heart sounded like bass. The music was now off and I could hear every step Jamie took as he went from the kitchen near our back door to the front door near HIS room. I hugged my knees to myself and listened, scared. Jamie opened HIS door and it creaked loudly before hitting the wall behind it and Jamie steps on. The walls in this house are so thin and the house itself could fit in the schools band-room. I stilled completely frozen as I heard a noise I never wanted to hear again in my life. Jamie was crying and the sound of flesh conecting to flesh sounded out through the house before HE yelled.

"You really thought after all these years I wouldn't whoop you, little boy?! I think you need to be reminded of something important I teach you and that little tramp of a sister of yours. Yeah?" I heard him chuckle before slamming his fists or foot into Jamie, making him groan out in pain before I heard the imistakable sound of a body beging dragged down the hall, towards my room.

Jamie had became heavier and my father was already intoxicated so they moved slowly. I began to panic and look around the room from the crack in between the door and wall, looking for a way to get out and get help. I looked out our open window and decided if I jumped out fast with my shoes in hand I could run barefoot to the nearest park and put them on before running for help. I quickly and quietly ran out of the closet and drabbed my shoes.

I had gotten out the window and was ducking under the window before spinting when out door slammed open and I flinched before sprinting barefoot like my life depended on it- because it did, and so did Jamie's. We never asked anyone for help with our dad before now. Jamie had handled it for years before now, he was almost 21 and they had fought for years and Jamie had came out the winner before. I got the park and quickly put on my shoes before running to the only person close enough that I could think of going to for help.