Chapter 17

I wake up with a startle and roll over as I hear the pounding on the front door. I look at the clock on Chance's bedside table and see it is only seven in the morning. Far too early for people to be pounding on the door like this. Chance groans and gets out of bed. He puts a hoodie on and opens his bedroom door. "Stay in here. There's a few throwing knives in the drawer next to my bed." I nod and he leaves quickly. I hear his footsteps quickly go down the stairs and a gun being loaded before the locks are undone. 

   "I am here for my daughter," I hear HIS voice say calmly. 

   "She is not here," Chance says. 

   "Don't blow smoke up my a** boy, I just want to talk to Jessica." 

   "I would love for you to be able to do that, but like I said, she isn't here." 

   "That's not what I heard." 

   "And who would have told you that she is here?" 

   "Local authorities." 

   "The police don't have to tell you where your seventeen year old daughter is as long as she is safe. As far as I know, she is always safe when she isn't around you." I hear the gun click. 

   "Put that down or else you are going to be hurt, little boy." 

   "Now that is where you are wrong. I know how to shoot this, and I am not a boy." 

   "Just let me talk to my daughter." 

   "Like I said. She isn't here." 

   "So you won't mind if I come in then? Just to make sure." 

   "Not unless you come back with authorities and a warrant." 

   "Just to make sure that my daughter truly isn't here?" 

   "She isn't."    

   "Then let me make sure." 

   "No." click clack. The gun. I pull a knife out from the bedside nightstand. 

   "Move out of my way, boy." 

   "I am not a boy." 

   "Fine. Then just move out of my way." 

   "Get off of my property. I have it planned out with the police, I shoot you for trespassing, they won't arrest me." 

   "Murder is murder, little boy." 

   "All I said is that I would shoot you. Whether or not you bleed out on my lawn is on you." 

   "Fine. But I'll be back later for my daughter." 

   "She still won't be here." 

   "Mhm." Crunch of gravel. Car door slamming, engine starting. He left. I run out Chance's room and down the stairs to Chance. 

   "We have to get out of this town, Chance." 

   "I know. I am going to call you aunt and have it put in order. Why don't you shower and then pack your things? I'll make sure everything is ready to go when you're done." 

   "Okay," I go take a very long shower. 

"What do you mean I can't see you anymore?!" I shriek. 

   "I jut don't think it's safe with everything going on." 

   "You and I both know the reason I won't commit to you and you're using it against me?" 

   "You know that not how I meant it Jessica." 

   "Sure as Hell seems like it is." He flinches. 

Stay tuned! Who do you think she was talking to? Hint; It's not who you think it is. 

Thank you so much for reading! Please make sure to; 

Like 

Comment 

Share!