Chapter 10

CHAPTER TEN 

*This chapter inspired by the song Still Don't Know My Name by Labrinth* 

((And I would die or stay. For you right now)) 

   I take the knife out from under Chance's pillow and hold it up out in front of me. "Who are you really?" 

The man stares at me like I'M the crazy one. I get closer to him, with the knife still held up. "I am Michalle James Brance. I am married to Margret Marie Brance. My sons' names are Chance Michalle Brance, and Tyler James Brance. My daughters name is Avalin Marie Brance," the man says calmly. I look him up and down and still hold my stance. Ms.Brance doesn't have a daughter, and her husband died years ago. 

   "You're insane! Ms.Brance doesn't have a daughter and her husband died years ago!" I yell at him. "I was there when those boys were heartbroken over their dad leaving them and dying. I had to help them get back to their feet and watch Chance have to put his whole family back together and still keep good enough grades to get a college scholarship," I swing the knife for empasis and he moves back quickly. I give him a glare and he puts his hands up in mock surrender. 

   "I promise you I'm alive and well, and our daughter is older than Chance. We had her when we hadn't even been married yet. When Margret decided we should get a divorce, our daughter had already moved out of state for college. I have no idea why my sons think I'm dead. Our divorce was done cleanly, I just didn't have the time to be a father to my sons when I was busy all the time with my job. How do you think they keep this house?" he looks me up and down like I'm dumb and it just makes me more upset. 

   "Ms.Brance has a lot of money left over from inheritance. She works hard and her boys are smart. Chance got into college on a scholarship. Tyler is varsity team captian of the football and soccer teams. Both boys treat me like a little sister and best friend. I know them better than almost anyone else. I know you're not their father. So, who are you?" I ask sternly. He rolls his eyes and walks out of the room. 

   I follow the strange man with the knife still up. He goes into the living room and sits on one of the couches in front of the TV. I sit in the chair across and to the side of him and stare at him. "Please do stop starring at me, little girl. It makes me uncomfortable in my own home. Now, can you explain to me what was going on outside? Who was that man and why was he chasing you and such? You looked terrifed," he says looking over at me casually. I wiggle under his eyes and look back at him. 

   "That man was my father and that is all I am willing to discuss at this time. The Brace's know what is going on and I came here because I am safer here than I am alone," I put the knife down on the table next to the chair and cross my arms as I slide down in the chair a little. The man chuckles and watches me with interest. 

   "You're a strange yet intersting girl. What happend to you? You look like you went through H*ll," he says looking me over. I squirm and look away from him. Jeeze, this man never runs out of questions, does he? I wish the boys or Ms.Brance would just come home already. 

   I look over at the sound of the door opening. Think of them and they appear! Thank the Lord! Tyler walks in with his duffel bag over his shoulder and no shirt on with his earbuds in. He walks right past us without seeing us and up to his room. I look over and see the strange man starring at Tyler. I quickly get up and follow Tyler into his room. 

   I stand in the doorway to his room and watch him move around for a bit before clearning out my throat. He jumps and yelps as he turns around to look at me. I giggle and he smiles at me. "Not funny, Baby J," he chuckles. I look him over and he is suddenly very well aware that he is shirtless. I laugh as I watch him scramble to find a shirt. He finally finds one and quickly puts it on. I laugh harder and harder as I see him try to play it off cool. 

   "You're blushing," I tease him quietly. 

   "Yeah well I think you've got a little drool right there," he points to the side of his mouth and I laugh. 

  "I don't think so," I giggle and he grins at me. He looks me over and goes all serious. 

   "It's not just my imagination, right? You actually look worse than when you were checked into the hospital," he looks me over and I look at my feet. I nod and he sighs before sitting on the edge of his bed. "You okay? Is that why you're here?" he looks over at me and I nod again. He sighs loudly and says a few choice curse words. I watch him as he quickly stands up and looks at me closely. 

   "You should probably know there's a strange man in your living room," I whisper to him. He imediatley runs downstiars after telling me to stay in his room and lock the door. I roll my eyes and follow him quietly down to the living room. I watch from behind a corner and he stalks up to the man quickly. 

   I watch as Tyler punches the man in the face, hard. I flinch back and the man wipes at his mouth. "I guess I deserved that," the man said. 

   "Damn right you did," says Tyler as he stands over the man breathing deeply. 

   "I'm here to talk to your mother about moving back into my home," says the man. 

   "No. You're getting out of my house. Now."