Chapter 3

CHAPTER THREE

*Chapter inspired by the song Deviltown by Cavetown*

((Down town is colder in the summer time. I'll loose my mind at least another thousand times))

I woke up to the sounds of painful groans coming from outside of Chance's bedroom door and instantly stiffened. Someone is right outside the door. I try to lightly hit Chance awake but he responds by stopping my hands and putting it down before grabbing something from underneath his pillow. Is that a knife? Since when does Chance keep a knife under his pillow? I watch him in interest and drop to the other side of his bed as he motions for me to stay quiet. Yeah, like I'd yell or something. I roll my eyes and Chance smiles as if he knows what I am thinking without having to tell him.

   Chance opens the door with the knide hidden behind it and start talking in whispers, so I can't hear anything. I then hear a grunt and Chance says, "If she is SO safe with you, then explain the fact that you can barely walk and she looked terridied when she ran over here yesterday? No. She's staying here with me and you and your and and whoever's the H*ll else wants to can fight me over it. Unlike you, I know technique and can hold my own in a fight. Understood?" I've never heard Chance get mad before pr even talk that much at once. What is going on? Who is he talking to? Jamie? That would make sense with the comments on the barely walking and dad. Are they talking about me? I watch as Chance stiffens and I can hear more whispers. "No," he says sternly before closing and locking his bedroom door and sitting on the floor next to me.

   I lean into Chance and he plays with my hair. It seems to calm both of us. I take the paper pad and pen out of his shirt pocket and write on it. 'What was that about? Who were you talking to?' He reads it over and then shrugs before pulling me into his lap marital style. "It was Jamie. He wants to take you home and I say no way. My mom said you're more than welcomed to stay here and I'm not letting you go back to the monster. No way," his jaw sets and I think. Would it be safe to stay with Tyler and Chance? What if HE finds me here and hurts them the same way as Jamie? I couldn't bare to live with myself if that happend. I shake my head urgently at him and stand up. I start to pace and run my hands through my hair. Chance stays on the floor and watches me carefully.

   "What do you mean no? It's not safe with your dad for you, Lil' J," his eyes soften as he sees the tears welling up in my eyes when I make eye contact with him. I shake my head one last and final time firmly and leave his room. I can't let him see me cry. Boys ask too many questions when you cry.

   I go into the living room to find Jamie and let myself cry without thinking about it. When I stumble into the living room the person there isn't Jamie. Tyler. My breathing hitches as he turns towards me and sees that I've been crying. So many emotions went over his face, but one stood out the most and made me curl in on myself. Anger.

   "Did Chance do something to you? I swear to God I'll kick his-" he stops short of his rant when he sees my big eyes and shaking head. "What happened, Jess?" he asks quietly. I don't think. I just hug Tyler like he's the only person in the world that might be able to hold me together. I cry. I cry so hard I can't breath and it comes out in ragged sobs. I miss the lives that I read about in stories and dream to be my own. Tyler hugs me back tight and just lets me cry.

   At some point during my cry session my legs became too weak to stand so Tyler easily picked me up and held me as I cried into his neck. Tyler is someone I never thought wouold actually comfort me while I cry. Actually I would have completley expected him to find my or his brother to pass me off to. Tyler is holding me like I'm both fragile and not held tightly enough together. Tyler sits us down on the couch and continues to hold me even after I'm not crying and just sniffling.