Chapter 16

I woke up and it was dark, and I was alone. "Chase?" I say out loud to the room. I get out of the bed and wrap a blanket over my shoulders, before opening the bedroom door to listen for noise. All I heard were whispering voices, that sounded like they were coming from downstairs. I quietly walked down the newly done stairs and listened to the voices. 

   "It's not fair that she gets to ignore me after I confess to her, and you're suddenly her knight in shinning armor!" one aggravated voice yell-whispers. 

   "It is completely fair. I told you many times to talk to her about what her brother was saying and to ask her to come live with us and that we could protect her, but you were too p*ssy," I hear the other voice say calmly. 

   "Well it doesn't matter now that her whole other side of her family has decided to step in. What is going on with that anyways? After all these years of those two going through Hell and back, suddenly they intervene?" the voice I've taken to be Tyler asks. 

   "Jamie's arrest was put all over the papers, I'm sure her family didn't know how to step in without making it worse for them until now. They're doing everything they know how to do. If you would have looked beyond your emotions today you would have seen that she is being fed, bathed, clothed, and the car that dropped her off was very nice. Along with the one that is watching our house," the voice I've taken to be Chase says. 

   "I guess you're right, but something about this doesn't sit right with me. Why would her father suddenly be okay with her not being in his house anymore?" asks Tyler. There is a slight pause. 

   "Her aunt and I talked on the phone a bit before Jessica was dropped off. She basically begged that I try to convince Jess to stay here tonight. Her dad isn't okay with this, but he wouldn't come here. There are police on the corners of the street and that guy in the car has more than one gun on him. She told me he is her husband, and lets just say that it's not just being a lawyer that pays for their cars," Chase says with an edge. 

   I decide this is my moment to make myself noticed. I didn't want to hear anymore. I come around the corner and yawn and squint at the light like I just woke up. Chase turns around and gives me a sweet smile. I smile back at him and go up to him to snuggle up to him. "I like the shaved look better," I tell him sleepily. He plays with my hair a little and chuckles lightly. 

   "Let's get you back to bed," Chase says. I nod and he picks me up. I cling onto his shoulders and he walks up the steps. I close my eyes so I don't have to look at Tyler. Chase gets to his room and closes the door behind him with his foot. "You need to eat more. You weigh nothing," he says before sitting on the edge of his bed with me sitting on his lap with my head on his shoulder. 

   "I'm trying," I say quietly. He holds me against him. 

   "I know you were listening in. He's just worried about you," Chase says quietly. 

   "He lost the right to worry about me after everything that happened with Jamie," I say back to him. He nods and kisses the side of my head. 

   "You know I love you, right?" Chase suddenly says out loud. 

   "I know," I say sadly. I can't get my hopes up because I am safe at the moment. 

   "I know you love me too, even though you don't say it. I know your reasons for keeping me a safe distance from your life, but I'll be waiting here when you're ready, Jess." he says into my hair. I let the silent tears roll over my face. I hate how well he knows me. I nod into his shoulder and he just sits there. We listen to his grand house creaks and groans of protest against being here. I used to always feel like how this house sounds. Not wanting to be here, but now... I don't know. It's almost like life is worth living now that everything is starting to get better. Chase breaths me in and I breath him in. My life feels almost still for the first time I could ever remember. 

I woke up when the sun hit my face through the break in the window curtain. Chase is shirtless and has an arm draped over my hip, my head is rested in his other and I'm curled into a half ball. I yawn quietly and look up at Chase, he is still sleeping. He snores lightly and I giggle at the sound. He wakes up slowly. 

   "Good morning," he says before burying his head in my hair.  I smile. 

    "Good morning," I say back. He smiles against my head. 

   "Want waffles?" he asks sleepily. I nod quickly. 

   "Only if you make them though. I think Tyler would poison me and your mom does everything," I say shyly. 

   "I am the only one who can cook around here. My mom can barely make macaroni," he says with a grin. I laugh at that. 

   "I don't want to use my legs," I whine to him before going back under the covers. 

   "No problem," says Chase with a dangerous sound to his voice. Before I could think too much into it, he throw me over his shoulder with the blanket and I scream in surprise. 

   "Chase, put me down!" I tell him loudly. He laughs and shakes his head before carrying my down the stairs and into the kitchen. His mother is already in there making herself what looks to be her third maybe fourth cup of coffee. "Help me!" I tell her while Chase walks around with me on his shoulder. She laughs. 

   "I'm afraid you're on your own this time," she says humorously. I looked at her shocked before Chase takes me to the other side of the kitchen. 

   "Maybe I'll just cook with you over my shoulder. You're pretty light." Chase says, thinking he is funny. Suddenly, I get an idea. 

   "That's okay I have a nice view from here anyways." I look behind me to see Chase's neck go bright red, like I guess his face is. He put me down and looked at his feet. I had to actually bite my tongue so I wouldn't laugh at his reaction, but his mother beat me to it. She looked between us and starting laughing so hard I thought she might pass out from the lack of air. 

   She stops and looks at her son. "She did that on purpose, Chase. She knew you'd put her down," she says wiping under her eyes. 

   "I know," he suddenly looks at me. "I'll get her back," he grins before getting out what he needs in order to make the waffles I asked for. His mother looks at the waffle maker and then me. 

   "My son spoils you," she says pointing out what I already knew. I grin cheekily at her and she smile while shaking her head at me, before leaving the kitchen. I sit up at the bar and watch him make my food eagerly.