Prologue

AHLUME ADAMS

Do you believe in doppelgangers? Yes? No?

Nah, I didn't believe in them too until I came across them.

Ok, wait. Let's first define what these people are. Normally, I'd say creatures, but they're humans just like you and I, except they are humans that look alike.

No! I'm not talking about twins because twins share the same DNA and all that, but these people don't share anything other than the same features. I went on the net to try and find a better explanation, and all I could get was that a doppelganger "is a look-alike or double of a living person, sometimes portrayed as a ghostly or paranormal phenomenon and usually seen as a harbinger(sign) of bad luck. Other traditions and stories equate a doppelgänger with an evil twin. In modern times, the term "twin stranger" is occasionally used." Now, if you notice, that's like three definitions for one term... Let me not bore you with the science or the history lesson and get right onto it.

My name is Ahlume Adams, and I'm a 19-year-old doing his 3rd year in Business Analysis at DUT. I'm your typical rich boy with a bad reputation in school and around the community. I have a twin, Ahlumile, and he is nothing like me. He's your typical good boy, every mother's dream of a son and all that other crap. My twin and I are the best of friends even though we are nothing alike. He's doing IT Development Software in the same university as I, and we are the kind of twins who are so identical you can barely tell the difference between us. Even our mom sometimes can't tell the difference between us. The only differences between us are that Mile likes to cut his hair, loves the color black while I prefer white, he has a beauty spot on his chin which you can see when he shaves his beard, and unlike me, he doesn't have any piercings on his face while I have one on my left eyebrow.

Back to doppelgangers, I met a girl last holiday in the states with the family, and she blew me away until I met her again in Durban, but only it wasn't her this time but it was her doppelganger, and my life hasn't been the same since! Sit back and take this ride with me.

MONALISA NOLAND

My name is Monalisa Noland, Lisa for short, and I'm a 16-year-old hacker. Pretty cool, right? NOT! I would like to have a normal life like normal kids my age, but that's not possible because I have to live on the run. You see, with my line of work, there's no such thing as a normal life. It's not that I use my skills for malicious acts, but because I'm the best at what I do after Click, of course, every gang wants me on their team. I wanted to be part of the $pritz, but my father would never let me anywhere near them because he says they are dangerous and will only use me for my skills. So I don't have much of a life. My father is the greatest hacker of all time, Rodney Click Noland, and my mom is... well, I never really got to meet her.

My life was going normal, normal being my definition of normal, on the hideout until I met this boy. Life would be much easier if I wasn't me. All my life I've grown up thinking that something wasn't right with me. I can never seem to be happy, and when I try to be with a guy or have any relation with one... he dies. I'm starting to think I'm cursed or I'm a curse, whichever works for you really. For once, I would like to meet someone I don't kill. Oh no, please don't get me wrong, I'm not a serial killer or anything along those lines, but it's just that... I don't know. Let's find out as we go along, shall we?

ANELISA SIBEKO

Who am I? More like what am I? Growing up wasn't easy. I grew up in very poor conditions with my grandma only, and whenever I ask her about my mother, her mood changes almost instantly. I'm 16 and I'm in matric with hopes of studying computer science or biotechnology or anything with tech in it. I've always been an ambitious child, always positive, always making good out of my situation. I don't have many friends like other kids my age because of my background and upbringing. As much as my life is not all roses, I have hope that one day things will change for the better, and the good Lord will pull me and my grandma out of this struggle we are in. I am what most parents would consider a saint because really there is pretty much nothing I do other than carry myself in a good way.

You ever meet a person and suddenly it's like they make you sick... literally. Not as in you hate them or disgusted by them, but suddenly it's like some part of your body just stops functioning until that person is no longer in your presence? Well, that's what happened to me when I met this nun. She's beautiful, a dream even, but it's like her presence kills me slowly and very much painfully. I don't know how to describe it, but ever since I met her, things for me have been a little too strange. But that's just me. Sit back and enjoy the ride.