Chapter 5

*MONALISA

I took the food from her and ate it because I had no choice, obviously. She smiled at me as I was eating. Kalyn is a very weird person; there's just something about her that I never quite get. I handed her the plate, and she placed it on the pedestal and sat properly on my bed, looking at me—more like watching me.

Me: Can I help you with something?

Her: Why?

Me: Why what?

Her: I've been calling you since morning, and you haven't been answering my calls.

Me: I'm a busy person, aunt.

Her: What are you hoping to find, huh?

Me: What?

Her: What are you hoping to find in my house?

Me: I have no idea what you're talking about.

Her: You think I don't know that you're the one that convinced your father to go out with me? Your father has never not once looked my way, and then suddenly he wants to go out with me? I'm not stupid, Monalisa.

Me: Could have fooled me.

I mumbled.

Her: Excuse me?

Me: I said I just wanted us to act like a family.

Her: Oh...

Me: Yeah. Dad needs a woman in his life, and who better than you?

She smiled. God, women are easy to fool sometimes.

Me: Click didn't look at you because you remind him of mom... you guys were twins, after all.

Except mom got the brains, and she... I laughed at my inside joke.

Her: What's so funny?

Me: Nothing. I'm sorry for the way I've been.

Her: It's fine. Come here.

She said with her arms open, and I went in, and we shared a hug. At least I was feeling less weak now. Click got home, and for the first time, I welcomed him with open arms.

Him: And then?

Me: I almost died today.

I said, still in his arms. He chuckled and kissed the top of my head. I broke out of his arms.

Him: I'm glad you didn't die then.

Me: Your new girlfriend is here.

Him: I know. I left her here to go and attend some emergency at work.

Me: Was it really work, or was it The $pritz?

He chuckled.

Him: It was work.

Me: Can I talk to you about something... Alone, of course?

Him: Uhhm, okay. Let's go to my office.

We walked to the lounge, and he greeted Kalyn, and then we made our way to his study. He locked the door, and we sat on the couch.

Me: Something weird happened today.

Him: Okay. I'm listening.

Me: I saw an old woman on campus today, except it was as though she was a figment of my imagination.