||six||

°wonwoo°

i watched her as she laid unconscious. she looked pale and lifeless. she constantly gasped for air in her unconscious state which worried me.

"I'm dying, wonwoo"

those words kept lingering in my head and just won't stop bugging me. surely she didn't mean it right?

soonyoung left for a while to send soojin home while chan stayed with me.

i called her mother, she said she'll come as soon as she can.

"i know you like hana noona, hyung" chan said out of nowhere.

"she's my bestfriend, chan"

"the way you look at her says otherwise" he chuckled.

"she likes soonyoung" i sighed.

"tiger hyung?" he asked, surprised. "no wonder she looked like she was hurting so bad while she was singing that song"

"i just wish i could take away all her pain" i mumbled as i caressed her soft cheek.

the doctor came in the room to check on hana again.

"will she be okay, doctor han?" i asked.

doctor han only sighed, "i wish i could tell you that she will be. her disease has gotten very severe within a short period of time. i thought she'd have more time"

my heart sank hearing those words. it felt as if someone was stabbing me slowly. "wh-what do you mean, doctor? what's her disease?"

"i don't know if i should tell y—"

"I'M HER BESTFRIEND, I SHOULD KNOW" i stood up and raised my voice unintentionally as tears started to form in my eyes.

"hyung" chan stood up and held my arm. "calm down"

the doctor sighed, "have you heard of the hanahaki disease?"

chan and i nodded. "doesn't that only exist in stories?"

doctor han shook her head, "it's very real and rare. hana happened to be the one in ten million to catch the disease"

"so she.." i fell back onto the chair. "she'll die?"

she wasn't joking.

"the flowers in her lungs have abnormally grown a lot since last week. if she doesn't consent us to remove the flowers or if the person doesnt love her back in time, she'll die"

"why hasn't she removed the flowers yet.." i balled my fists and shakily said.

i felt like crying. i felt like breaking down.

i felt a hand hold mine. i looked up and saw that hana was awake.

"if i remove the flowers, all my feelings for soonyoung will disapear" she weakly said.

i furrowed my eyebrows, "you're willing to go that far? you're willing to die for soonyoung? for someone who doesn't even love you? don't be stupid, hana"

"hyung, she's weak. you shouldn't talk to her like that" chan put his hand on my shoulder.

"then I'll get soonyoung to love me back" she smiled sadly. "it's not impossible"

"it's not possible either during this situation" i sighed. "hana, wake up. you deserve to live, you deserve better than this"

"i don't want better, wonwoo" she sighed. "i— i can't let go of my feelings for soonyoung. that's too much"

"YOU'LL DIE!"

"THEN I'LL TELL HIM HOW I FEEL, MAYBE I'LL HAVE A CHANCE" she raised her voice at me.

she was crying already. it hurt me to see her cry.

"i... i can't lose you, hana" i knelt down beside her bed as the tears finally escaped my eyes. "i can't lose you.. i just can't"

"you wont lose me" she managed to smile through the tears. "don't cry, wonwoo. it hurts seeing you cry" she cupped my cheek with her soft hand.

i stood up and wiped my tears.

"how much time do i have left?" she asked the doctor.

"not much" the doctor replied. "I'm sorry hana, i thought it wouldn't grow that much"

"it's okay, i put this upon myself" she chuckled.

how the hell can she still laugh at a time like this?

"i want to meet soonyoung" she said.

"hana, that's not a good idea. seeing him will make the flowers grow faster" the doctor worriedly said.

"if i tell him how i feel, he might love me back"

"hana, that's risk—"

"it's worth the shot"

i sighed and fished for my phone in my back pocket.

i guess she wins again.

i dialed soonyoung's number and waited for him to pick up.

"soonyoung-ah. where are you"

°third person°

wonwoo told soonyoung to meet them at a park that was quite far away. it was about six so it was starting to get dark.

hana looked and felt weak. she was pale and constantly coughed up flower petals.

"do you think you can face him?" wonwoo asked hana who just stared out of the car window.

"if today is my last" hana started, "i have a sparkly box in my room. they contain letters for different people. please hand it to them"

"don't say that—"

"i love you, wonwoo. thank you for everything" she finally face him and smiled sadly. "i might not make it back alive, you know that"

"hana, please"

hana reached for the back of her neck and removed her necklace. she grabbed wonwoo's hand and placed the necklace there. "tell my mom i love her" she chuckled before the left the car, leaving wonwoo.

"WHY, HANA?!" he hit the stirring wheel. "WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF?"

wonwoo cried as if his misery would save hana from her sorrowful fate. the thought of losing hana tore his heart to shreds.

he didn't want to lose her.

she was his family.

his bestfriend.

the girl he loved.