Chapter Nine

I'm tired, stressed, and feeling low, but here's an update.

All the love,
Lex🔪🖤

-•-

-•-

"Well, well, well," A voice tauntingly rang out, shaking me slightly from sleep. "Never thought I'd see ol' Hood get tamed into the domestic ways of affection."

"Shut up, Clifford. The kid has had a rough night, let 'im sleep." Calum's chest rumbled, making me cuddle into him more. His arm was hooked around my waist, keeping me in his hold .

I was slightly conscious from the talking which woke me up, and sleep was threatening to overcome me at any moment. Calum has stayed up with me all night, like he promised.

"Love looks good on you, Hood." I stayed quiet as the familiar voices of the men I met yesterday bickered between each other.

"You're delusional, Mike. I just met the kid." Calum muttered defensively.

"But you sure do got a soft spot for him, don't you? You could'a killed him, yet you didn't. Don't deny it." Michael's loud voice stated, before I heard footsteps echo in the room.

"Yes I could've killed him, but he needed help, so I didn't."

"Calum, you kill anyone who bothers you with useless shit. That is, unless you have something to gain from them, and let's be real, the kid is too innocent to have connections for you."

"Yeah, Ok, sure. The kid is cute, and there was some feeling, deep down, telling me I had to help him. To protect him." I felt a large hand run though me hair softly. "Happy?"

"Very. Who knew Big Boss' weakness would be an innocent nobody."

"You tell a single soul 'bout this, and I'll kill myself. I don't care if your my best friend."

"Jeez, calm down, Cal. I'm just messing with ya. He's a cute kid, keep him safe."

"I plan to." Calum mumbles, dragging his hand from my hair down to the side of my face, running his thumb over my cheekbone. The touch calmed me, sending me into a deep slumber.

-•-

"Angel, it's time to wake up now, ok?" Someone shook me softly, waking me up. I opened my eyes and saw I was on Calum's chest. I blushed, quickly getting up.

"I'm s-sorry, Sir," I mumbled, keeping my gaze down at my feet due to my embarrassment. A finger hooked under my chin, lifting my head up. Calum smiled, looking me in the eyes.

"It's fine, Angel, no need to get flustered." He chuckled, making me give him a smile. "Now, lets get you something to eat. It's going to be an interesting day. Oh, by the way, Michael's here, somewhere. Probably breaking into my alcohol." He mumbled the last part to himself, but I still heard him. I found myself giggling at the thought, making the older man look at me with a smile.

Calum led me into the kitchen, where Michael stood holding an unopened can of beer.

"Ah, Cutie! You're awake!" He said cheekily, flashing a smirk. I nod, giving him a smile as I sat down at the barstools.

"So, Angel, I was thinking." Calum started, opening the fridge in the kitchen and pulling out a bowl of cut up fruit, handing it to me.

"After last night with your apartment, I think you should quite work."

"B-but why, Sir? I l-love my job." I stumble, frowning over the thought of leaving everything I worked so hard for.

"Cutie, it ain't safe for ya there. If they found your pad, then they know more about you then they should. They'll track you down because of your relationship to Luke, just to get the money." Michael explains, sitting down in the chair next to me.

"Angel, I'm not taking chances that they won't go to the hospital."

"Sir, I-I need that job. I have to earn money to pay for living. That nursing job at the hospital was such a big opportunity for me, I can't throw it away."

"Angel, please, I'll take care of you. It's too dangerous out there with those men angry with your brother." Calum paused, taking a breath. "How about this, Angel. My guys are always getting hurt, from gang fight to alcohol poisoning. The hospitals 'round here are getting suspicious, since the guys are always going back. You're a certified nurse, right Angel? You think you could be a, well, a medic of sorts for me?"

"I don't know, sir. I-I'm really not the b-best." I say, not sure if basically joining Calum was a good idea. After all, he ran the NYC mafia, and the mafia was dangerous.

"Angel, if that hospital, which, mind you, is the best in the city, wanted you, you must be good. I'll pay you, Angel. Double what you make now. I can get you the supplies and an office to set up in. Think of it as your payment for my help to find your brother. All you got to do is say yes."

I looked at Calum, biting my lip. I nod slightly, "I'll do it, for Luke. Even if it means working illegally." Calum smiles thankfully.

"The world is a dark place, cutie." Michael smirked, piping the tab of the beer can before taking drink. "But at least what we do brings some excitement to it, even if it's illegal. Livin' each day with no regards to the consequences. Because in the end, cutie, we all bleed the same no matter how good or bad of a life we lived."

Calum nodded, clapping his hand over Michael's shoulder as the blonde man began to drink his beer again. The impact made him spit up on his shirt, and he glared at Calum. The tan man shrugged, before looking over at me.

"Exactly. You gotta love livin', Angel, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass."