Chapter Thirteen

Double update just because-

Lex

-•-

-•-

Calum had driven me back to the dark building in Harlem. He opened the door, greeting a handful of guys who were sat at the bar. They all wore suits and kept a calm but deathly glare on me as I followed Calum.

"Lads, listen up! This is Ashton Irwin. He's the new medic and a close friend of mine; treat him like we do with the rest of the family." I held onto Mr. Snuffles tightly as the men looked at me. Their glares soon turned into smiles, making me feel less nervous.

"Welcome to the family, Ashton!" A man with a deep olive complexion and thick accent called from the bar, raising his glass to me. The other men followed his actions, welcoming me.

"Uh, t-thank you." I say quietly before Calum dismisses the men and takes me to his office. He points to a chair in-front of the desk.

"You can sit down, Angel." I sat in the large leather chair, watching as Calum moved around to the other side and sat down. "Don't worry about the lads. If you're part of the family, then they'll love ya." He reassured me, making me nod my head.

"Now, Mike should be here any min-"

"Well, well, well. It's Beauty and the Beast! How's it goin', cutie?" Michael said, slamming the door of Calum's office behind him. Calum let out a quiet "Speak of the devil."

"Meh," I shrug, and Michael nods.

"I'd feel the same way, cutie, if I had to live with ol' big boss." Michael smirks, taking a seat in another leather chair in front of the desk, throwing his feet up onto the table.

"Hey! Feet off the table, asshole." Calum warned.

"Sorry, sorry." Michael mutters, rolling his eyes as he takes his feet down. "See what I mean, cutie?" He fake whispers, making me snicker softly at his childishness.

"Michael, you didn't come here to dick around. What's the guts here?" Calum crosses his arms over his chest, glaring at Michael.

The blonde man sighed dramatically, pulling up a black backpack from the floor the he brought with him. Michael unzipped it, and I peaked from beside him as he began to pull things out.

"Nintendo, no. Condoms, no. Hmm, dildo?" Michael pulled out a weirdly shaped pink stick, holding in his hand.

"What's that?" I ask, looking at the pink thing he held up. Michael smirked, going to open his mouth before Calum interrupted.

"Hell no! Put that away Mike!" He yelled, making Michael shove the pink thing away. I frowned, genuinely wondering what it was.

"Don't worry, Calum. Cutie, it's just a unicorn horn. I use it for cosplaying." I widened my eyes when he mentioned unicorns, letting out a soft 'oh'. Calum was grumbling across the table, but Michael kept pulling things from the bag.

"'How to be a gangster for dummies'? No, not yet." He tossed the book on the desk, returning to the bag.

"God fuck, hurry up already," Calum muttered, growing impatient. I was beginning to think Michael was Mary Poppins as he kept pulling out so many things from the small bag.

"Walther PPK?" Michael pulled out a handgun, lifting it up to examine at it. He shook his head with a sigh, pressing his thumb over a small lever. "Can you believe I had safety off? Pathetic."

He tossed the gun aside, accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting a mirror in the office, making me flinch from the loud noise. It shattered, falling in large shards to the ground, with a loud clatter. "Ah. Here it is!"

Michael pulled out a small journal, opening it up. He handed it to Calum, who read over the page.

I tilted my head, poking Michael in the side. He turns and looks at me. "Yeah, cutie?"

"Are we going to Russia?" I asked the man.

"We sure will, Cutie. Why? You know any good touristy things to do in Moscow?" I nod my head, thinking back to geography class when we learned about the Soviet Union, well, Russia but the Soviet culture.

"Yeah! They have so m-many thing I w-want to see! And t-the food!"

"Oh, we could be travel buddies!" Michael exclaims, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "I can be your translator! 'Idi nahui!' See, I know Russian!"

"Don't swear," Calum mutters, not looking up from the journal. "I don't care if it's in a foreign language. No swearing around Angel."

Michael smirks, making me look between the two. He leans over and whispers to me.

"Calum yavlyayetsya cyka blyat!" I say, smiling at the phrase Michael told me to say. The blond man breaks out laughing as Calum frowns unamused.

"Don't teach Angel swear words!" I frown, not understanding what they meant by swear words. It was just a phrase Michael said would be funny.

"I didn't say it, he did." Michael laughs in defence, holding up his hands.

"You really think Ashton would say that on his own, Mike? The poor kid doesn't even know Russian."

"Hey, if he's coming to Russia with us then he's gonna have to learn sometime. Besides, if you know the swear words, you practically know half the language.

"Now, speaking of going to Russia. I managed to pull a few strings with the Sicily branch. We will heading to Messina for a few days before going to mainland Italy. Becella has offered to take us in for a few weeks."

"Why are we going to Sicily? Luke is in Russia."

"Cutie, your brother is being held by some of the strongest men in the mob business. Calum here might be the most powerful in the US, but not the world. Our band ain't a match to them anymore. We're only about fourth in the ranks. First the Russians, the Japanese, then the original Italian/Sicilians, then us. Our branch isn't as powerful as it was in the last century mainly because of all these small gangs pulling attention."

"Fucking wannabes." Calum interrupted, crossing his arms like a small child.

"The amount of times Calum has said he wished he ran this city in the '30s, Ashton. I have to listen to it every day."

"People feared us more! Stupid idiots don't even care anymore about us."

"He's like a child, I swear. Anyways, Becella is taking us in for a few weeks. We leave with you ten best next Friday. He said he'll tell us more when the time is right."

Calum nodded, taking in the information. I sat quietly, letting my thoughts brew. "What if they kill Luke before we even get there?"

"They won't, Angel. They want the money. They're baiting the US Government into giving ransom, then they'll probably kill him once they get the money." Calum sighs, standing up with the journey in hand, groaning to himself.

"That means we only have so much time before the government finds out and gets involved. Well, only until someone files Luke missing and they start an investigation. We better hope nobody does, or else your brother might be in more danger, Angle."