I meet the human embodiment of barbeque

☼☼☼

I fiddled with my pencil and looked out the window. The class was quite boring and not something I whole-heartedly enjoyed. Plus, it was the last one of the day, and I was completely drained of energy. It was my third first day at U.A. and it wasn't that interesting. My eyelids felt heavy and I started to drift off.

"Pst, (Y/N)!" Nejire nudged me.

I sighed, "I'm awake, I'm awake."

Nejire Hado, one of UA's big four, alongside myself, Mirio Togata, and Tamaki Amajiki. Also, one of my best friends.

Nejire smiled, "Do you have your work-study today?"

"Hm? Yeah. You know Hawks. He doesn't mess around. That man keeps me on my toes."

"Aww," she pouted, "I wanted to go to the mall or something after school," she sighed, "Maybe I'll get Mirio or Tamaki to come with me."

I laughed, "I think the mall might make Tamaki nervous."

"Good point," she glanced at me, "I heard the first-years are something else this year. Aizawa Sensei's class especially. And it's just the first day!" she paused, "You know one of them, right?"

"Know is a strong word. My mom just knows his, we're neighbors."

"Who was it again?"

"Katsuki Bakugou. That boy has a temper like no other. I'd steer clear. God, what a nightmare. Every time I go over he and his mom would scream at each other. But, at least Mitsuki-san is an actual nice person most of the time. Bakugo is just a dick! He keeps calling people "extras". Even when he was a little punk kindergartener, he was loud and annoying," I shuddered, "I really hope I don't have to hear him anytime soon."

Nejire laughed, light shining off of her periwinkle hair, "You're such a pessimist towards everyone, (Y/N). He can't be that bad."

"He is," I grumbled.

The class ended and I got up suddenly and grabbed my bag. I started walking out the door. Hawks would put me through the wringer if I was late again. I waved bye to Nejire and headed out of the school. I was about to start the walk to the train station when my phone started vibrating. I checked the caller ID. Mom.

Maybe she was finally coming home. My mother and I might have a... complicated relationship, but I hated coming home to an empty house every day.

I answered the phone, "Yes, Mom?"

"(Y/N). You have your work-study today, yes? I saw the shared calendar. And how was your first day of school?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way to Hawks right now. And the first day was fine too. How's work? "

I heard air rushing in the background of the call, "Work's okay. Just checking in. I'm calling to tell you that-"

"Are you coming home today?" I cut her off.

More air rushed in the background of her call.

"No," she said, "I'm in the states. I called to tell you that I have a few patients at a hospital in the U.S. I probably won't be back for another few months."

"What?! Again? You said that you would come home! I haven't seen you in three months now!"

"I'm the only source of income in this family. You better sound more grateful. You make it sound like I like traveling."

"Whatever. See you... or I guess I won't."

My mom hung up the phone. Of course, the first time she calls me in weeks is to tell me I won't see her for another even longer. Can't say I'm surprised. It's a cycle. She's home for a few days, at the most, and then gone for months. It's not that I'm not grateful. I am. Of course, I am. My mother saves lives as a well-renowned doctor. Her healing Quirk is amazing, and her surgical skill is too. I'm proud of her, but that doesn't mean I don't miss her.