𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟

⋆◦★◦⋆

⋆◦★◦⋆

it's been an hour into the surgery and basically nothing has happened.

"the dura's opened. let's get out first look at the tumor." derek said.

"wow." jackson said, looking at the tumor.

"that's um... wow." lydia gasped in awe.

"the vessels are more intricate than the m.r.i. showed. there's no way I can get the tumor out without rupturing one and killing the cord." derek said.

"so, uh, what do we do?" jackson asked him.

"if i start t-2, i could avoid hitting the feeding vessels, so maybe i should go lower. there's less vascularity around t-7, so that does see better no?"

"it does seem better. and you'd only get function loss below the chest." lydia commented.

"but i risk rupturing the anterior spinal artery there." derek spiraled off from her.

"probably. the tumor tapers off there." lexie said, watching them do the surgery.

"higher is better maybe? either way I risk sending them into hemodynamic collapse.

" he's not talking to us, is he?" jackson lowered his voice and directed his questioned to lexie and lydia.

"not at all." lexie said at the same time as lydia said, "nope."

"t-2 shows less potential for bleeding. at t-3, the vessels have...increased." derek said, seemingly focused.

"if I clip the draining veins without getting the feeders, they'll burst." he continued.

"dr. shepherd, i really think it's time for you to take a break. it's been over 8 hours." lexie commented.

lydia looked over at derek and back at lexie, silently agreeing with the girl.

"i could go under the tumor here, but I might cut the radicular artery." derek ignored her.

"let's look for, maybe if I go.."

"dr. shepherd..." lydia tried.

"dude, if you need a break, just take a break." jackson told lexie.

"please. I don't need one. I'm hard-core." lexie fought back.

"are...are you wearing a diaper?" jackson asked the girl.