Rekindling a Bond

"Well, that  was a huge waste of time." Harry said mock brightly, "I do apologize for taking you all away from your duties."

"Come, Mr. Potter. I must speak to my Snakes, and you are one of them." Professor Snape instructed, "Headmaster."

"I will speak with you tomorrow, Severus," Dumbledore said. Harry happily followed Snape out of the office and down the familiar route to the dungeons. Harry honestly believed that he could be blindfolded in any part of the castle and still find his way back to Salazar's domain. They came to the plain stone wall that Harry knew was the entrance to the Slytherin dormitories. Salazar had used the plain wall as a constant reminder that looks can be deceiving.

"This is the entrance to Slytherin House," Snape told him, and Harry blinked, remembering that this was supposed to his first time to the castle, so he nodded to show he understood. "The current password is 'basilisk'. It will be changed every month with the noticed pinned on the notice board." The wall had slid open on the word 'basilisk' to reveal the Slytherin common room. The rest of the House was milling around in the room, obviously waiting for something and Harry guessed it was the Professor. Harry glanced up at Snape to check he was allowed to go and the man motioned for him to go. He took up a place next to Draco, flashing a grin at his surprised look.

"Everything is in order, sir." One of the prefects spoke from the far side of the room as Snape moved to stand in front of the grand black marble fireplace, a spot Harry knew was visible from all possible angles of the room.

"Welcome to Slytherin." Professor Snape began, directing his speech to the first years. His voice was like silk, low, and perfectly measured to travel through the entire common room without difficulty. He had a presence about him that kept the room utterly silent, but within the House, Harry felt no hostility or fear. All of the older years seemed to respect the man quite a bit. "I am Professor Severus Snape, your Head of House, and the Potions Master of this school. As a new member of this House, there are a few rules that you must know and learn to abide by. Outside these walls you will face prejudice and discrimination because of your House selection: Slytherin House is not seen in a positive light. Because of this, all Snakes, while not within our main territory, will appear as a united front. Even if you utterly despise a fellow Housemate, outside these walls you will allow none of this to show. If you see a fellow Housemate in need of aid, you will help them. This rule is non-negotiable." He looked at each of them to make sure they understood before continuing. "We are Slytherin, and this House champions cunning. Should you, perchance, deviate from the written rules: Do. Not. Get. Caught. If you think you may be caught, have an alibi at your disposal. And if you are caught, make sure that it's by me." Snape gave them a look that promised steep retribution should they be caught at all, and Harry very nearly grinned; Salazar had given him the same look a hundred times. "The prejudice you face, unfortunately, also extends to members of this faculty. They will believe the words of another House over you in a heartbeat. So if you have any problems, any issues, or any concerns, you are free to come and speak to me at any time. My office can be accessed through the painting of the stirring cauldrons, and if you are unsure a prefect or older student will show you the way." Harry's attention snapped around when two people walked out of the painting mentioned, his eyes widened slightly as he saw his Godfather and uncle step through and walk over to Professor Snape. "These are Professors Black and Lupin-Black, our History Professors. If you are unable to find me, they are also available and can be trusted. Should you find yourself in trouble in higher areas of the castle, you will find it easier to seek either of them out and they will be able to bring you directly to me." Snape moved his attention back to the House as a whole, looking around to check their attentions. "All first and second years are to travel in groups unless absolutely necessary and your curfew is at 8 pm during the week and 9 pm on weekends and holidays. I expect the prefects to organize and structure study sessions where necessary and see to it that our younger members are settling and adjusting accordingly. Any concerns you may have can, of course, be brought to me. Marcus Flint is the current Captain of the Quidditch team, any inquires of the sport are to be directed to him." Snape paused, regarding them all for a moment before he spoke again, this time his tone was caution and very serious. "As you all would have noticed, we have two new members of faculty this year; James Potter is now our Flying Instructor and Lily Potter our Arithmancy Professor." There was an outbreak of whispers at that, and Harry felt many sets of eyes glance at him. He kept his mask in place, keeping his back straight and his head turned towards the Professor easily; they would soon know he was nothing like his so-called family. The room fell silent with a look from their Head of House, and he nodded. "I offer you this single warning. They are not your friends." His tone belayed the real message; avoid them as much as possible, and when you can't, the rules became your doctrine. "Are there any questions?" When there was a negative response, he nodded dismissing the House to do as they pleased. A ripple of noise sounded as friends reconnected and people made their way up to the dormitories. Harry noticed his Godfather and uncle lingering by the main entrance and he felt his heart jump a little when he looked up and met Sirius's eyes. There was a myriad of emotions in those clear grey eyes and Harry knew he was just the same.