Potions Class

Harry's first week at school in his own time was surprisingly brilliant. He was, with no surprise to himself, the instant top of all his classes. He would accept nothing less of himself. He had been avoiding James Potter expertly, but there had been a few close calls. The closest being when James had finally cornered him and made a grab for him, Harry found himself lifted into the air and set on his uncle Moony's hip, protectively held close to the man as he gave James a truly dangerous look that had the man backing up quickly. Harry didn't blame him, he had seen the wolf come out in his uncle, his eyes starting to light up amber and his lip drawing back from his teeth – Harry was pretty sure he would make a hasty retreat too.

When Friday finally arrived, Harry was practically bouncing with excitement for his Potions class. Even though he knew that whatever would be taught to him that day wouldn't even be close to a challenge for him, he couldn't help but feel that it had been much too long since his last Potions lesson, not even lesson just time in the lab. First years' were not allowed to use the labs on their own. Harry hoped that he would be able to speak with the Professor to get that slightly amended, he loved to brew and just the thought of only being able to do so in class was horrifying. His dorm mates, having seen him pour through numerous Potions texts, some of which they didn't even know existed, all knew what was making him so twitchy. Draco finally got annoyed with his pacing and muttering under his breath that he forcefully sat Harry down to wait for the rest of their year mates. The blond was quite excited to be taught by his Godfather, but at the same time, he was nervous because he knew the high standard the man expected from all of his students and he was worried that he would have forgotten everything he had been taught previously. Harry's bright mood was noticeable to anyone who had the right eye. Up at the Head table, there was one who was eyeing the boy with a somewhat questioning expression.

"What has your Godson deviating from his usual perfect calm?" Severus asked Sirius, who was sat next to him.

"I would assume the same thing that has your Godson doing the same," Sirius responded, and then he grinned. "Harry has been so excited about Potions all week that I thought he might combust if this day didn't hurry and come around."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah, he's an absolute Potions fanatic. He's been going on and on about it all week." Sirius told him, "I think you might have a little admirer in him."

"Admirer?" Snape repeated and Sirius chuckled.

"You should hear him talk about your work in Potions. He has all of your books, even that ridiculously rare one that's on obscure Potions insight, and he's been offering us random facts about your work followed by how amazing it is." Sirius grinned, "It's quite adorable really."

"Do you know if he has brewed before?" Severus asked.

"Yeah, he has. It's his absolute favorite subject." Sirius answered.

"I shall have to watch him during my lesson, then."

"I do not think you will be disappointed," Sirius assured. Severus cast a critical eye over the boy in question, wondering if Sirius was being generous or the boy was actually good. Harry had finally calmed himself enough to eat with the proper decorum and then take out his current Potions text, he had memorized it, of course, given that majority of the information was already known by him, but the bits he didn't he had made sure to memorize. He hadn't heard much about the professor's teaching style, only that he favored Slytherins and was the strictest teacher in the school. His attention snapped up when his 'father' came to a halt behind him, looking at the entire table with open disgust.

"Your mother and I believe it would be best if you spent the weekend with us," James stated and Harry looked at him blankly.

"No thank you."