Peter Painter

I'm baaaack! How long have I been gone? Eh, who cares. No excuses this time. I got tired of it so I left. I don't really care about this anymore as much as I used to, but I decided to give my faithful little reader minions a treat. I just thought up a title and im gonna go on that. I habe no plans for this chapter. Wish me luck.
***
Peter. There was a subject. Or was he the one doing the subjecting?

Peter Parker, Midtown's brightest and most talented student, especially in science, wasn't just that.

When the news reported his early highschool graduation at the age of sixteen, they talked all about his aptitude for science, math, and languages. There was little mention of his other subjects, while some were left completely untouched. If course, maybe this was for the best...

***

"Wow, Peter... Great... Uh. What is it again?" Aunt May squinted at the, er, colorful paper, and smiled tentatively.

"It's a dancing mushroom named Jeremy with sad eyes and a big dark mustache! Can't you tell? I think you need your prescription updated, you dont seem to be seeing very well."

"No, ah, I think I'm seeing fine. What are you going to do with it?" She asked, leaning back into the counter on which she sat upon.

"Frame it," Peter answered, letting the paper descend to reveal his bright face.

"Oh, that's nice... Have you picked a fr-"

"Oh, but first I'm going to bring it to that Open Art Exhibition in the park this coming Saturday!"

"You're what?!" May's posture stiffened, but her jaw defied and fell slack.

"Bringing it to the Exhibition!" Peter slid his paper into his folder. "Do you think I could win first prize?"

"Well-ah. Uhm. I don't know Peter," her gaze hardened and she met his eyes. "You know what? Go for it. You'd deserve it."

"Really? Yes! Whooo!" Peter jumped crazily down the hall, waving his paper in the air.

May could only sigh.

***

Peter stared proudly at his masterpiece.

(Yes I drew this. Yes, there is much more color but terrible lighting that couldn't capture it. This is Jeremy the Dancing Mushroom.)

He had placed Jeremy the Dancing Mushroom in a bronze - colored wooden frame with fancy, twisted sides.

Many had come by to see it and his shriveled mushroom subject beside the frame on a matching plate.

I mean, Peter had to have some point if reference, right? And why not bring it to the art exhibition?

So, time passed. The time for the judges to pass by was coming within the hour.

Peter spent his time doodle insanely complicated technical sketches with professional lines and shading, everything perfectly to the quarter scale. He was drawing, to the best of his ability, the Iron Man suit from the inside out. It took several pages to make it perfect. Of course he had to imagine quite a bit of the insides, but he thought he was surmising very well what it might look like.

The rest of his time was spent wondering after who the judges might be. Of course, he wasn't prepared.

The very first judge to reach his stand was none other than the most world - renowned artist in the history of the masters.

But if course Peter couldn't care less because he didn't actually know who it was.

The next to come by was some random old lady. The Queen of England, or something. Either that or it was the crazy cat - lady that liked walking up the street clothed in nothing but shed cat hair coats and scarves.

After they passed, Peter thought that was it. That it was the end of his brief career of sitting at Art Exhibitions, hoping to actually move onward in the world. Those dismissive, awkward looks said it all... He had totally won first prize! They knew he was a master, a genius, a crazy mushroom man that would walk up the street with wilted mushrooms taped to his bare chest! THEY LOVED HIM!

Peter began gathering his technical specs into his folder as the winner was announced over the P.A.

"The winner of the grand prize is... Peter Parkersons!"

Peter's heart swelled. They must have mispronounced his name. He grinned, and stood to make his way to the stage in the middle of the park.

But.. A blonde kid was already on stage, shaking hands with the Queen/cat lady and grinning as he held up his abstract artwork, the giant cardboard check for a half million dollars leaning against his shins... What?

Peter sank into his chair, numb. So. They hadn't mispronounced his name.

They began listing off the top twenty, but Peter didn't listen. Not that it would have made a difference, his name wasn't mentioned anyway.

Only five minutes later, he made his way absently out of his assigned booth and towards the closest gate of the park that would lead home.

Suddenly, he saw a flash, and he was on the ground, his paper and folders scattered about him like confetti.

"Oh! Sorry kid, you okay? Hey, what's this? These are amazing! Did you draw these? Wait, aren't these segments of the Iron Man suit? Kid... You got some real talent."

***
And the end. This was actually really fun, I might come back and do this more often!

Have a great day, or rather, evening, for me. Or maybe you are experiencing the cold, dark embrace of a moonless night. Or perhaps it is indeed with a bright moon. Perhaps it is morning, or hot midday. Possibly you are in the southern hemisphere and are enjoying a read in front if the fire whilst curled up under a blanket with your favorite drink as the snow falls softly outside the window. Whatever it may be, farewell and goodbye, my little reader minions. Until next time.
~MintMagician