3

"I hope you can forgive my nephew," Iroh spoke after a moment of silence as the two finished their delicious desserts.

"What he did was terribly rude," Tsai's eyes narrowed. "Not his distaste for tea, but his appalling matters. Makes you wonder if he was raised in a palace or in a barn." She huffed shaking her head.
"He is a very troubled young man. He has his spirits set on capturing the Avatar."

The girl's eyes became a little wider. So it was true that the Avatar had returned. But he must be over one hundred years old by now! A master of all Four Elements!

"He believes he will be redeemed and will regain his honor when he captures him."

Once again Tsai shook her head. Of course she had heard the tales of the banished disgraced prince, but this?

"The virtuous man is content with himself without doubt or lacking of self-," Iroh began. "-Be it honor, courage or strength," they finished in unison both with a smile.

"My grandfather used to say that to me all the time," she lowered her hand suddenly feeling her mood once again shift to a more somber one. She felt a warmth over her hand and realized that Iroh was holding it. He gave her palm a gentle squeeze. Being with him, with this older man. It was almost like being with her grandfather. The two looked nothing alike, but his wisdom, this man's soulfulness his familiarity it really brought a deep sense of peace to the young woman.

"Tsai, can I ask you a question?" the older man asked leaning in closer.
"How old are you?" He asked while stroking his chin in a pensive matter.
"Sixteen," she answered lowly. "And I'm assuming you've lived within the walls of this palace your whole life." She nodded "That is correct."

He once again went quiet and looked at her, like really looked at her. She almost felt as if he was gazing into her soul as if he could see her sins, truth and prayers.

"What I'm about to ask you is a bold question, you are at your own free liberty to accept or decline my offer. However, if the spirit of adventure calls to you. I would like to invite you to travel with my nephew and myself. You would have the finest accommodations allowed and your own space. You would get to see the world, worldly experiences, as well as keeping this old man excellent company."
She hadn't noticed that her jaw had dropped in surprised of the bold proposition. "Although, I do have an ulterior motive," he once again stroked his beard. "I would hope for you to take a keeninterest in my nephew," he chuckled sincerely.

The back of Tsai's neck felt hot. She didn't know if it was because of the embarrassment of the bold proposition or his last comment.

"I can't promise you, it'll be easy. Trouble seems to have a way of following us," he nodded. "So what do you say?" He looked at her shocked expression. Her eyes wide, lips parted in surprise.

"I-I can't," she breathed. "I can't. This, moments like these are when my family needs me the most and I've never been away from home- I-I really shouldn't..." She trailed off avoiding the man's knowing eyes.

"Very well then," Iroh rose to his feet. As did she. He once again took her hands in his and bowed his head down. "It has been a true pleasure meeting you Tsai. You remind me a lot of your grandfather, and I have no doubt he must've been very proud of the lovely young woman you've become."

She bowed her head as well. Still at loss of words, unsure of how to proceed.

"I know this isn't the last time we'll meet. I will also send a servant with the lychee seeds. Don't think I've forgotten."

xxx

Tsai walked back to her quarters with a whirlwind of thoughts in her head. Her hand mindlessly played with the sunstone choker necklace she never took off. She wasn't in a good mental state to make such a serious decision. Also despite what Iroh had said, she was more than certain that the journey wouldn't be to a Five Star resort. It would be filled with hardships and troubles. Not to mention his terrible nephew's hot tempered personality.

Also- what would her parents say? What would they think?
Tsai taking off with the disgraced prince in search for the Avatar. It would be a scandal!

She walked into her room and lost in thought was greeted with a black figure thrown at her head.

"Heads up!" She barely managed to catch the large knapsack. It was her brother. He sat on her bed with his arms crossed over his chest a mischievous knowing smirk playing on his thin lips.

"Mecha? How many times have I told you! Get out of my room!" She tossed the sack to the floor angrily.

"You have to go," he simply stated. His expression shifting to a serious one. "Go? This is MYroom."

"Go- with them. With the General and the Prince," he nodded his head towards the sack. "I've packed some of your stuff. Now get along, an ostrich horse is waiting for you at the entrance."

"What? Have you lost your mind? Also- where you eavesdropping? Where did you even go?" She exclaimed angrily.

"No, but you will. I don't approve of your dreams of the Earth and Fire Kingdoms coming together. Sounds like grandpa, not like you, but as your big brother it's my job to support you and I know this dream is not going to happen by letting you sit here looking pretty. You have to go out there. Meet worldly leaders, and try different types of tea," he chuckled softly.

Her eyes welled with tears. "But- what about- mom and dad. What about you? What about- I don't know anything about the world!" She was once again at loss of words. "Just think. What would've grandpa wanted?"

"Nonsense," he laughed. "You've read every single encyclopedia in the library at least twice. That's gotta count for something, right?"

Tears spilled down her face once again for what appeared to be the hundredth time of the day. "I'm really going to miss you," she tackled her brother in a tight embrace and buried her head into his shoulder. "We'll see each other soon." He said hugging back.

"Mom and dad-" She pulled away. "I'll explain. Remember, it is always better to beg for forgiveness than to beg for permission," he winked at her.

And just like that for the first time in her life, she departed Yu Dao.