18

Time seemed to fly in Ba Sing Se.

At first Zuko had been counting the days that he was spending in this city he called a prison but now he had no idea just how much time had passed since their arrival. His hair was longer now falling in wisps covering his forehead in bangs and reaching pasts his ears. (His girlfriend was a fan). Iroh was happy, Tsai was happy, but him... Zuko starred out of the teashops window. He had everything, his uncle, a loving girlfriend, a steady living, it was a simple, but he couldn't understand why he couldn't be happy...

Iroh smiled faintly as he poured three nicely dressed gentlemen a cup of tea each then he wandered over to serve another customer while the three men enjoyed their tea. The three smiled at each other then stood up.

"So, you're the genius behind this incredible brew." One of them exclaimed as the trio approached Iroh, "The whole city is buzzing about you! I hope Pao pays you well."

Iroh smiled serenely at the man, "Good tea is its own reward."

"But it doesn't have to be the only reward." The man replied with a grin, "How would you like your own teashop."

"My own teashop?" Iroh asked in shock, unwittingly catching Pao's attention as he stopped conversing with another customer, "This is a dream come true!"

Pao rushed forward to stand between the three men and Iroh, "What's going on here? Are you trying to poach my tea-maker?"

Tsai who was attending a customer glanced over to see Iroh's excited expression and the men standing around him. She smiled politely at the customer she was serving tea and approached the counter to see what all the commotion was about.

"Sorry, Pao, but that's business for you." The man replied lightly with a smug smirk, "Am I right?"

"Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you assistant manager." Pao said then hurriedly came up with a better offer, "Wait, senior assistant manager!" He said fidgeting nervously.

Tsai looked at Pao then back at the finely dressed men before her curious gaze rested on Iroh, who was looking a little starstruck.

 'Iroh's own teashop? This was great news! It was literally his dream come true!' 

She flashed the retired general and excited grin before wandering over to tell Zuko the news and help him clear a table of cups.

She took out a rag and began wiping the table down. He glanced at her and smiled a little before going back to what he was doing. "Listen!" She whispered and turned her head back to the conversation. "I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring." The man offered easily both now more interested in the conversation, "The teashop is yours to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom."

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asked eagerly, little stars practically appearing in his eyes.

"Of course!"

"Uh, senior executive assistant manager?" Pao tried one last time, only to hang his head in defeat when Iroh handed him the teapot he'd been holding.

Iroh bowed to the man, agreeing to his terms. Tsai practically ran to Iroh, a broad smile on her face. Zuko followed behind and they stood next to Iroh as Pao walked sadly in defeat towards the back of the shop.

"Did you hear, nephew? Tsai?" Iroh asked Zuko eagerly , "This man wants to give us our own teashop in the Upper Ring of the city!"

"That's right!" The nobleman said as he looked at the two teenagers before him, "Your lives are about to change for the better."

"That's great!" Tsai clapped her hands together. "Wow!" She said in awe.

Zuko sighed internally. He looked at Tsai's beaming expression and at the dreamy glint that shined in his uncle's eyes. Tsai was happy. Uncle Iroh was happy. Why couldn't he feel the same way?