27

Zuko walked silently into his room directly after the meeting of the black sun. He closed the door gently behind him and moved over to his bed removing his headpiece, allowing his hair to fall messily around his face. It seemed to ease his headache slightly. He knew the day of the black sun was upon them. With a silent sigh he removed his armor and placed it on his bed beside his head piece then he turned and walked over to his desk.

He placed a sheet of parchment on his desk and used the two weights to smooth it out flat before sitting down and picking up his brush. With careful and delicate strokes, he began writing, his heart heavy in his chest.

He had everything planned out.

He sneaked out of his room like he had done countless of times and made way for the auburn-haired servant's room.

He stood outside of her door and raised a hand his nerves getting the best of him as he told himself to suck it up and just knock. He shook his head and simply walked in like had done several times before.

His eyes widened at what he saw inside the small room. Papers and scrolls were wildly scattered all over the room and it smelled like burnt paper and smoke. Tsai sat on a chair using the small desk as she burnt what looked like confidential information into a metal bowl.

Her eyes shot wide as she jumped from her chair and shoved a crumbled paper inside of her shirt.

"It's not what it looks like." She said in one breath as her brain racked thoughts of a believable lie to explain this awkward situation.

His golden eyes meeting hers. "You're the one that's been leaking out all the information."

"I knew it." He said softly.

She braced herself ready for his explosion. For the perfect prince to erupt in rage at her lies and betrayal.

"You're the one that left the scroll outside of my door," he said as the realization hit him.

She nodded slowly. Still waiting for the volatile reaction. For him to scream and maybe even immobilize her for capture as a traitor to his Nation.

"I know you're working with uncle. I've known since the beginning. You would never betray him. You would never betray everything you believe in unless he asked you. That's why you bowed before my father. Swore your allegiance to the Fire Nation." He finally managed to connect all the dots and see the bigger picture. It was as clear as water.

Her body was tense. She had been holding her breath. His expression was unreadable. Would he turn her in?

Their eyes met again. She didn't dare move a muscle. Only looked at him like a deer dog caught in headlights. His silence was killing her.

"Let's runaway." He proposed boldly.

She looked at him beyond confused at the bold suggestion. One of her eyebrows arched the other knotted making her bewilderment even more apparent on her face.

"Let's runaway together," he repeated holding her head in his hands. She was too stunned to react to his touch.

"We-We're both of marrying age." He stammered. "We'll runaway. Get married. Start a new life somewhere where nobody knows us. We'll bring uncle! We've already done it once. We can do it again!"

She had stopped listening halfway through his spiel. Both of her eyes wide. All the blood rushed to her head. Her head was spinning, and she could swear her mind went blank for a moment. She feel forward almost comically feeling dizzy at the declaration. He caught her by the shoulders, and it took her a moment to regain consciousness.