12

It had been a couple of days since the trio had had roast duck at Song's house for dinner and Tsai still couldn't believe that Zuko had actually stolen the ostrich-horse from the generous family that night. Besides it being another large mouth to feed what he had done had been immoral. The worst part was that  everything she looked at the ostrich-horse she thought about Song and felt a massive sense of guilt for being an accomplice.

These past couple of days were rough to say in the list. The three had barely managed to find refuge in dirty alley ways, forgotten barns, muddy ground and under trees in the wilderness where they would seek shelter from the rain or sun. Cold nights, hunger and Zuko's terrible attitude seemed to follow them everywhere. Their lives were truly miserable at the moment. 

The hunger, the exhaustion and the emotional toll of being homeless had taken a toll on the two spoilt teenagers who were unaccustomed to this life. Despite Tsai's enjoyment of the outdoors she had to admit. This was too much. She didn't even remember what the petty scraps she had last eaten were. Her stomach ached tremendously and it was becoming harder and harder for her to sustain her strength and optimistic spirits. No lesson in any volume of encyclopedia had prepared her for this.

The sun was beaming brightly above them in what could've been the hottest day of the year. Iroh was currently sitting on a straw mat beside his nephew with the ostrich-horse lying behind them. The man stared serenely at the people walking in the street, he bore no shame or embarrassment in his status as a homeless old man. As a cart with masks for sale passed by them.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked inquiringly as he held his straw hat out to a man that was walking past. Despite everything that they had been going through, Iroh remained strong, his attitude unbeatable. Tsai had to admit, the three were in a frustrating situation. It even dampened her spirits.

The man stopped in front of Iroh and pulled out a couple copper coins, which he generously dropped inside his hat then he continued walking down the street.

"This is humiliating." Zuko growled angrily as he turned to stare at his uncle, "We're royalty! These people should be giving us whatever we want."

"They will if you ask nicely." Iroh replied easily then held his hand out to a young woman as she was passing by, "Spare change for a hungry old man?"

The woman smiled down at Iroh and withdrew a coin from her sleeve, placing it in the straw hat, "Here you go."

"The coin is appreciated, but not as much as your smile." Iroh said with a flirty smile, causing Zuko to slap his forehead in exasperation while the woman to giggle quietly behind her hand as she walked away.

As the young woman walked away, a man with a broadsword strapped to his back wondered up to Iroh and Zuko, a nasty smile appearing on his face.

"How about some entertainment for a gold piece?" The man asked with a smirk as he held up a gold coin.

"We're not performers." Zuko snapped in annoyance as he leaned against the ostrich-horse and glared at the man from under the brim of his straw hat.

"Not professional anyway." Iroh said quickly as he go to his feet and began to sing, "It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city, they look so pretty!"

"Come on, we're talking a gold piece here! Let's see some action." The man sneered as he unsheathed his broadswords, "Dance!"

The man began striking the ground near Iroh's feet and Iroh hopped up and down in a humiliating manner in an attempt to dodge the attacks, singing as he did so.

"They kiss so sweet that you really got to meet the girls from Ba Sing Se!"Iroh sang and the man laughed as he stopped striking the ground with his swords.