T W E N T Y T W O

-TO BE SEVENTEEN
the girl woke up in the arms of her blonde boyfriend. he looked down at her, "happy birthday bubba." he placed a soft kiss on her lips.

meilani was the youngest out of her friend group, just turning seventeen, while the rest of them had turned seventeen already. of course she was in the same grade as the gang but she just had her birthday later than them.

jj whacked her ass, "get up i have a surprise for you." meilani groaned and got out of bed. she put one of jjs t-shirts on and walked out into the kitchen. immediately she was hit with the smell of pancakes, bacon and eggs. jj stood there holding two glasses of orange juice.

"breakfast" meilani puffed her bottom lip. "if you're going to be getting emotional over breakfast then god knows what's going to happen all day" jj took the girl under his arm, placing a kiss on her forehead.
-
-
-
-
jj covered meilanis eyes with one of his hands and held her hand with his other. "do not try to peak, i swear" jj warned. "or what?" meilani teased. "you don't want to know."

"three, two, one" jj removed his hand from the girls eyes. meilani fluttered her eyes open, adjusting to the sunlight. "happy birthday meilani!"
john b, pope, kiara and sarah stood in the boneyard in front of her, wearing party hats.

"you guys!" meilani smiled. john approached the girl. he placed a sash over her shoulder which read 'birthday girl' and he kissed her cheek, "happy birthday sunshine." pope was next to walk to the girl. he held a tiara in his hand, then placed it onto her head, then kissed her cheek, "happy birthday lani."

kiara walked up next, she held a large book in her hand. meilani took it, it was a scrapbook full of pictures of the two best friends. kie engulfed the girl into a hug, "happy fucking birthday best friend." sarah had a bunch of pink roses. she hugged meilani, "happy birthday pretty girl!"

finally jj stood in front of his girlfriend, holding a tiny wrapped box. he handed it to her and she unwrapped then paper. meilani lifted the lid to reveal a dainty ruby ring. "a promise ring" he smiled at her. "bub" tears welled in her eyes. she cupped his face, giving him a passionate kiss.
-
-
-
meilani arrived at work. "happy birthday sweetheart!" anna smiles handing the girl a wrapped gift. "thank you guys!" she smiles at anna and mike. "you girls go have the day off, celebrate!" mike places his hands on both kiara and meilanis shoulder. they both hug the parents and they each receive a kiss on the cheek.

the girl walked out wondering what her brother and father were doing today. they had both been radioactive with the girl for weeks now. she hadn't spoken to either of them after the incident with cayman. they had probably forgotten about her birthday anyways. "you okay?" kie asked, examining meilanis face which had tears streaming down it. "yeah i'm fine, i promise."
-
-
-
the girls arrive back at john bs to meet with the others. "there you are" jj grabs meilanis waist pulling her in for a kiss. "let's have some fun!" john b chants.

they board the hms pogue and head out onto the water. they arrive to an open spot in the marsh. kiara, meilani and sarah strip down into their two pieces whilst the boys remove their t-shirts. jj whistles at the sight of his girlfriend. "shut up j" she giggles, covering her face from embarrassment. "i'm glad you guys made up" pope smiles at the pair who are joking and messing around with eachother. "ditto" the group say in unison, rolling their eyes.

meilani grabs kie and sarah's hands and drags them with her to jump in the water. they dive in feeling the cold water rush through their bodies. the boys stand on the pogue looking down at them. "quit being pussies and just get in already" sarah scolds. "pussies" kie and meilani whisper to eachother.

the boys run and jump in, swimming to their girlfriends. jj grabs meilani by the waist and she wraps her legs around him. "this day has been so perfect" she whispers looking into his eyes. "it's not over yet" he smirks against her lips.
-
-
-
-
jj covers his girlfriends eyes as he leads her to a secret location. he stops on the spot. "ready?" she felt his hot breath against her neck. "so ready." he removes his hands from her eyes to reveal the group. "surprise!!" they yell. meilani stands in rixons cove with a freshly lit fire, fairylights on the trees and a group of her friends standing in front of her. her eyes fill with tears. "thank you" she whispers, tears streaming down her face.

pope sets up a hammock on one of the trees. immediately jj runs for it and lay inside it. "well that was for me and kie but okay" pope scoffs. meilani climbs inside and sits in between jjs legs. he plays with her hair as they chat. the girl lights up a blunt and hands another one to kiara. "i love you more than words can say lani" jj smiles. she blows a smoke cloud, "i love you more."
-
-
-
the couple giggle as the stumble up the girls porch stairs, hand in hand. she walks inside and flicks the lights on. jj stops giggling and meilani looks up to see her brother and father. "happy birthday meilani luana" they say in unison.

she lets go of jjs hand as he slips off into the bedroom out of their way. she approaches the two, engulfing them into a hug. she reeked of alcohol and weed but cayman and mr haywood chose to ignore it.

meilani pulls out of the hug, looking at her brother and father, pools of tears in her ocean eyes. "i-i thought you forgot" she sobs. "we would never forget, we're sorry we haven't been in contact in weeks, we didn't think you'd want to see us" mr haywood holds his daughter.

cayman holds out a gift bag. she takes it greatfully. inside is a teddy bear made out of scraps of fabric of her mothers clothes, alongside it was a necklace saying 'luana'. "you guys" she puffed her bottom lip out.

"we love you" the pair say engulfing her into a group hug.